• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Preferred body armor?

crazymaci

NAXJA Forum User
Who has experience with 1/4 panel armor? I'm looking at jcr or orfab, I like how the jcr rivets on, and comes powder coated. But it's thinner. And the rub rail has no support in the middle.The orfab I like how it goes over the taillight and the rub rail is got a support in the middle. But how do they mount? Are they thicker as well? Do they come powder coated? Any other brands out there worth looking at? Going on a 2000 xj auto.

I purchased the JCR Rear Upper Quarter Panel Guards w/Tail Light Cutouts for my 2000 XJ and the fitment was poor. The Taillight housing contact the hatch, preventing it from opening and closing without chipping the paint.
I had to remove 1/8" of metal from top to bottom of the housing to provide adequate clearance.

Above the wheelwell opening, I had to remove 1/8" of material so the JCR guards would sit flush against the body.
JCRUpperQuarterGuardfitment1_zps18159f8e.jpg

JCRUpperQuarterGuardfitment2_zps768b850e.jpg

I also had to "massage" the guard a the rear where the rub rail was welded to the guard, because there was a 3/16" gap between the body and the guard. I suspect the guard warped when the rail was welded on.

FWIW, the rub rail does have a welded support in the middle, just not a piece of tube. They are not riveted on, but bolted with button head bolts and flange nuts, so they should stay put.

Here's a shot of the JCR Lower Quarter guard fitment.......and this was the 2nd set they sent me to replace the first set, which fit exactly the same. Screw me once, shame on you....... I used by buddy's press to correct the bends to the proper angles........:twak:

JCR97LowerQuarterPanelGuardfitment_zpsece321a8.jpg

The ORFab quarter guard rail is made from a larger diameter tube than the JCR unit and extends further out from the body, so it would make sense that it would better prevent damage to your XJ, should you come in close contact to a tree or rock ledge.

Guess it all depends what you are looking for and how much modification you want to do. The ORFab units that I saw on rigs at the NAXJA event in Moab last October seemed to fit well. JCR has some good stuff for XJ's, but their Quality Control is lacking, so don't expect to just be able to slap a coat of paint on it and bolt in on without test fitting and modifying it to achieve proper fitment.

Last edited:
Having seen the or-fab's in person(they do come powder coated), I can say they fit quite well.
I just ordered a set with the rub bar this morning. Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of the tail light guard section, I may lop that off after I get them.....we'll see. I just don't like how it looks.

I had the JCR rear quarter guards with integrated taillights. The panels fit great, I think the only thing that didn't fit perfect was the inside cover over the wiring on the taillights. I didn't have the rub rail, but the panels itself took a few trees without issue.

Fred, check out 831_xj's thread in the Sierra chapter. I think he got some 2door armor from "little bros fab" or something like that.

Back