• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99+ intake swap gasket question

Gilean785

NAXJA Forum User
First time post, long time learner from this forum. I searched and couldn't find an answer to this particular question but there is always a chance I missed it, if so I apologize.

I was getting parts ready to replace my exhaust and decided to go ahead and do the intake as well. I finally got around to doing it all this weekend and crossed my fingers as I turned the key only to find the RPM's upwards of 3000. After searching online for a couple hours I discovered that it was most likely a vacuum leak. I re-seated everything the following morning and found out that one of the engine dowels had come off with the old intake. This time I made sure everything was aligned and it was 4-4.5 thousand RPM's.

I am pretty sure I just ruined the gasket with the first mess up and I am planning to buy a new one to hopefully resolve my vacuum leak. I looked on Oreilly's website and there is a different one for the 1998(which is the vehicle year) and the 1999(which I believe is the year of the intake).

My question is: Does it matter which one I get? Is it more important to match the gasket to the intake or the engine? Combined they cost 30 dollars, so if I could at least know which is more important to match I could just buy both and find out.

use the gasket for the year of the head.
when I did mine: 01 intake w/96 gasket on 96 xj.
if its going pretty much WOT on start up, you've still got a big intake Ieak somewhere. hopefully, it's just a screwed up gasket, and not a cracked intake. they are kinda fragile... :(

I have the Doug Thorley Tri-Y. Which is terrible for access to the two bottom center bolts for tightening. I installed a Gibson in my last XJ and it was way simpler because the pipes cleared the bolt holes.

Do you mean make sure they are flush with the block and not creating a gap?

Moparmaniac has a good point. Make sure the intake isn't getting hung up on the header somewhere, which could keep it from seating properly on the head.
I had to grind the intake just a bit, and ding one header tube(number 5 or 6, I think) to resolve the interference with my aftermarket header.

Back