• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

o2 sensor delete?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diggerdave

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm out wheelin around at a bonfire, whisky in the cup holder, hot babes in every seat, life is good. A country boy's wet dream! I heard some nasty sounds underneath when I crawled over a big rock? tree? something, who cares it's a jeep it's fine. I get back to the party and take a look underneath and find I've ripped out the wires to my rear o2 sensor. So now it's been awhile I'm sobered up jeep idles like crap and i need a new sensor. I'm too broke to buy one for awhile but I want to fix it.

I've heard that you can fake a functioning o2 sensor by putting a resistor between two of the wires to the sensor so the jeep thinks it's seeing a healthy reading from the rear sensor. Seems logical..but..has anyone actually done this and most importantly (and the reason for this post) What value does that resister need to be?

97 xj 4.0 blah blah blah for the purposes of this question we'll just say it's stock.

Thanks!

The resistor would be for the heater portion of the sensor. Thats a 5 ohm.

You will need to deal with the sense portion of the sensor as well.

Check on line for O2 sensor eliminators. They're little electronic devices that fake the o2 signal that your computer wants to see.

Disclaimer: This post is for informational use only and is in no way suggesting that the factory emissions controls be modified for on-road use. blah blah blah.

Fact is, a replacement sensor may be the cheapest route. especially when you factor the time and effort it may take to wire this in and get it all working.

I've had reasonably good results using junk yard O2 sensors. If the wire colors match and the threads are the same, it will likely work. The plug may not match. Use a crimp connector and do not solder, just strip back enough insulation so you can intermingle the wire ends and then crimp.

You can heat up the sensor with a propane torch then dip it in water. This pretty much blows most of the junk and/or oxidation off the sensor end.

I have a fifty mile round trip to my parts store. On line is around a 50/50 chance of getting the wrong part (for my 96). The junk yard is only three miles away.

Wow, so much fail. Drinking and driving, and deleting emission equipment? Naxja does not condone either of these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back