• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lack of power, low RPM, and rough Idle.

Auratus

NAXJA Forum User
So currently, for the past two weeks or so I've been trying to troubleshoot my Low and rough idle, and lack of power. As of right now when I start my truck It will bump to about 400RPM on the tach, then once in gear it drops to 200 or lower and shakes quite a bit. It drives fine once its moving and has never stalled.

a little info on What I've replaced in the past 3 months to try and prevent issues like this / fix others.
TPS, CPS, IAC, MAP, rebuild mustang 5.0L injectors, Air box mod, IAT relocation. New plugs, Wires, Cap, Rotor, Fuel filter, Fuel pressure regulator, Fuel pump ballast delete, and AC delete. this was all done mid to late febuary and ran fine for 3 months till the beginning of may.

I was just coming down a trail out to the road, and noticed what looked to be like my tach was dead. But I still had power steering, brakes, and the tach obviously still worked when I pressed the go pedal.

Only things I'm not sure of is if there is a fuse or relay blown that could be causing this. And I have not checked the "grounding" pins? on the back of the instrument cluster to see if they are the issues. Fuel pressure is at 36PSI. The O2 sensor has not been replaced due to a couple huge cracks in the manifold feeding it way more O2 then it needs and throwing trims around like crazy. I've got a new manifold, But I a'm not going to replace it till I can afford to rebuild my entire exhaust. But I dont think that the O2 sensor could cause such a drastic Change in the Idle. from 750-900 down to 200 just randomly one day.

Video of the idle <---I'm not sure how to embed the video here. so heres a link

The XJ is a 1991 laredo, 4.0L HO, AW4, for what thats worth..

Last edited:
Back