• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Automatic climate control?

Lot of work to swap something like that in i would think. Just so you dont need to turn or slide some controls around.

Hey, just wondering if XJs ever came with auto CC, or if a unit from a Grand might fit and connect and work.
No, and no. Infact the two systems are completely different even in the grands, and aren't easily interchangeable. I mean you could if you wanted to, but you'd be swapping the whole HVAC system. Not just the control unit...

^^What Scoobyxj said^^ The only thing the two HVAC systems in common is that they were installed in the Jeep production facility.

I am about to attempt this refit in a ZJ and am not sure it will work. The FSM indicates that it should but....

In an XJ? No way...

There is a temperature switch inside the cab on the older models (dunno about the new ones). I'm not sure how its wired up, but I think it tells the computer to disengage the compressor when ambient air temperature reaches a preset.

From the FSM: "Evaporator temperature is controlled by a fixed setting thermostat switch which cycles the compressor clutch to maintain minimum evaporator temperature."

Since the temperature of the evaporator is affected by the amount of air blowing through it, and the ambient temperature of the air in the cab, it acts like a climate control passively. EG, if you set the temperature to medium and turn the fan on low, you won't blow a lot of air through the evap and it won't shed cold air and the thermostat will reach the cutoff point sooner than if you had it on max cold at max speed.

Back