• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix radio/clock illum relay location

GregGA

87 Laredo Galloping Ghost
I am trying to find out why I have no dash/instrument lights. I have replaced the headlight switch and want to check this relay. 1988 electrical FSM says it is behind drivers kick panel. I dont see anything that looks like a relay.

Thanks!

hmmm.....maybe that's what *that* relay is...

i found a relay under the driver's side of the dash, just ABOVE the kick panel.
there's a white plastic one, that's the horn relay. then, there's one right by it-a standard 5 pin "bosch type" relay. it's just above the hood release handle, just kind of floating around under the dash.
no one could tell me what it was for, and i couldn't figure out what it did. i changed it just for posterity.

i assume you checked all the fuses?

I still have the bottom of my dash off in the '88(was changing the speakers & going to swap to '90 ecu to see if I can feel the reported power increase), it has that relay just like my mj did.
I'll go out in a bit and pull the relay, then see if my dash lights still work.

Soooo.... This is interesting.
I went out, unplugged the relay and turned on the headlights. The dash lights still work fine. They don't dim, only have full bright and off-but my headlight switch has the classic worn out dimmer rheostat affliction. Not sure if they would dim properly otherwise.
However, with the relay unplugged, when the ignition is on and I turn on the headlights-the dash clock goes blank. Turn the headlights off, clock comes back on. Then I noticed that one of the wires to the relay is orange/black stripe. This is the same wire color that runs to all the dash illumination bulbs.
So, the relay has something to do with dash lighting.....although I'm unclear on how it functions in that capacity....
(I should mention that I installed a true LCD clock from a later model, so it has no typical back lighting. Normal operation is on full bright with ignition, then it dims the display when you turn on the headlights)

Last edited:
I don't have that relay. There is a small aluminum box attached to the dash above the dash valance. I'll have to take off the lower dash tomorrow and get a better look.

My clock light goes out when I pull out the headlight switch, and nothing else comes on. Thanks for the info. I'll look for the orange and black wire.

Ok, I've no headlamp illumination relay where the FSM says it is.

I'm going to look for an open gtound. I'll have to study up on how do this., but the Fsm gives basic guidelines yo chec the lamps on a circuit.

Why I have trans/comfot light anf defroster light, doesn't make sense yet.

I'll work at this, hopefully solve it and post the results.

I hope:yap:

Weird that you don't seem to have that relay...
I looked at a '90 that belongs to a guy who works next door to me, he has that relay in his. With the lower dash in place, I had to contort myself upside down to find it up under the dash, but it was there.
What year is your's?

Ok, I've no headlamp illumination relay where the FSM says it is.

I'm going to look for an open gtound. I'll have to study up on how do this., but the Fsm gives basic guidelines yo chec the lamps on a circuit.

Why I have trans/comfot light anf defroster light, doesn't make sense yet.

I'll work at this, hopefully solve it and post the results.

I hope:yap:

Note from DJ
This information is from P# 76 of my 88XJ Electrical Manual with the help of my fingers and a HP keyboard.

Radio and Clock Illumination
Clock:
Description:
Two clock options were available; a Vacuum Florescent Display (VFD) clock and a Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) clock. The harness connector C188 is wired to accept either clock.

Vacuum Fluorescent Display (VFD) Clock:
Battery power for this clock is available at all times at C188 terminal C. Ground for the clock is provided by Ring ground G102 to connected C188 terminal A.

With the ignition switch off, there is no display on the clock. Turning the ignition switch to RUN provides power to C188 terminal F, and the display lights.

Pulling the Headlamp Switch to PARK or HEADLAMP provides power to C188 terminal 6. This input (DIM DISPLAY) switches control of the display brightness from the ignition switch (full brightness) to Instrument Panel Rheostat control (part of the headlamp switch) at C188 terminal B. This allows variable control of the displays brightness. There are no illumination bulbs in this clock. Lighting is provided by the VFD tube.

Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) Clock:
Battery power for clock is available at all times at C188 terminal C threw the ETR fuse. Ground for the clock is provided at C188 terminal A. The LCD display for the current time of the day is visible at all times.

Lighting for the display is controlled through the Radio/LCD Clock Illumination Relay. With the Headlamp switch in OFF position and the Ignition Switch in ACCY or RUN, power flows from Radio Fuse, through the normally closed contacts of the Radio/LCD Clock Illumination Relay to the clock and the display is at full brightness.

Pulling the Headlamp Switch to PARK or HEADLAMP energizes the coil of the Radio/LCD Clock Illumination Relay. This closes the normal open contacts of the relay and the brightness for the clock display is now controlled by the Headlamp Switch rheostat at C188 terminal H.

Radio Illumination:
With the Ignition Switch in ACC or RUN, power flows from the Radio Fuse, through the normally closed contacts of the Radio/LCD Clock Illumination Relay to the Radio at C187 terminal 11.

Pulling the Headlamp Switch to PARK or HEADLAMP energizes the coil of the Radio/LCD Clock Illumination Relay. This closes the normal open contacts of the relay and the brightness for the radio display is now controlled by the Headlamp Switch rheostat. The back-lighting for the radio is also controlled by the headlamp rheostat through C187 terminal 10.

well that explains why some have it and others don't, and also why getting a clock to work is a PITA when you're retrofitting one.

And here's the answer to no dash lights: I had tested the voltage at the instrument light fuse and hsf 12.3 volts. I visually indpected the fuse, and the eire wasn't broken.

I put a different fuse in today, and lights! Guess I learned to try the simple things first. We all lesrned about the clock circuit though:sunshine:

My 87 has the VFD clock. Only the models with the LCD clock had the illumination
relay. They must have switched over to LCD in 1988. Learned something else.

Note from DJ
Congratulations on your victory over another Renix gremlin!
All who look at this post will be reminded that assuming something is good is never good enough; we must verify something is indeed good. One 5Amp fuse was the problem.
Good job well done.

I to learned something new about the mysterious workings of my ‘88 while looking for information that might shed some light on your problem.

Happy Jeeping

Back