• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C compressor noise

b_palmer22

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting an intermittent noise from my ac compressor since I've owned my 00 xj 40k happy miles 140k on the jeep. Basically when you hop in the jeep turn the ac on it'll squeal. Turn the hvac off and back on it goes away and stays away until you start the jeep and do it all over. Yesterday and this morning the compressor actually locked up and again this morning again on start up. Threw it on when I was running down the highway no problems. Obviously its not the idler bearing or else it would be making noise when it's not locked up. Is my only option to replace the compressor at this point? Do you think it's OK to run it when I'm on the highway?

if the compressor was locked up it would stay locked up.

sounds like you need to replace and properly tension your belt.
Check that the waterpump weep hole isn't leaking and making the belt wet as well.

my 2000's is starting to make quite the racket but the bearings bad in it. i know this because if i remove the belt and spin the pully it sounds and feels awful.

I never use my a/c anyways so ive been thinking about getting a bypass pulling till i feel like spending 100+ replacing something i never use. could be an option for you as well if moneys tight, johnny walker said they only like $30 but i havent looked into it yet

bearings only 30 bucks but i know if i only replace that the compressors gonna explode a day or so later ha

Last edited:
The 1st post sounds like a belt tightening issue.
If it's humid out, often the 1st run of the AC with the engine just started will cause the belt to slip.

About the only way to check the bearing is to remove the belt and turn it while listening for noises/grinding/feeling for looseness.

The last post...
You know there are at least 3 threads on this board on how to replace your AC bearing on newer XJ. You might want to read one or two before you dump the AC compressor on it head for a bad bearing.

-Ron

I would agree with this, but it does it pretty much within the first minute of me starting it. Doesn't have to be the first start either itll do it on the 2nd third 4th start. Sometimes 30 seconds after its started sometimes not. It does lock up because i'll loose power steering, and the voltage drops though the floor. For now I'll just chuck the AC on when Im rolling down the road.
The 1st post sounds like a belt tightening issue.
If it's humid out, often the 1st run of the AC with the engine just started will cause the belt to slip.

About the only way to check the bearing is to remove the belt and turn it while listening for noises/grinding/feeling for looseness.

The last post...
You know there are at least 3 threads on this board on how to replace your AC bearing on newer XJ. You might want to read one or two before you dump the AC compressor on it head for a bad bearing.

-Ron

I would agree with this, but it does it pretty much within the first minute of me starting it. Doesn't have to be the first start either itll do it on the 2nd third 4th start. Sometimes 30 seconds after its started sometimes not. It does lock up because i'll loose power steering, and the voltage drops though the floor. For now I'll just chuck the AC on when Im rolling down the road.

all symptoms of a slipping belt there chief.

Like I said, if it were "locked up" it would stay locked up, and it's very likely it would kill the motor if your belt was properly tensioned.

your belt is slipping, the added load of the AC compressor makes it happen. I jjuts dealt with the exact same issue on my wife's 01 because the water pump was leaking and the belt was slipping.

but if you want to buy a new compressor and replace it, go right ahead, because you'll fix the belt issue when you replace the compressor.

it's easy on a 2000.

There's an idler with an adjustment bolt. You loosen the bolt holding the idler, you use the adjustment bolt to move the idler, then you tighten the bolt down again so it doesn't move.
You'll find the idler right under the power steering pump. You should be able to twist the belt vertically right above the water pump. Don't crank it down super tight or you'll kill bearings in the motor accessories.

How do you adjust the tension on the belt?

That'll tell you something right there!

Compressors CYCLE. They stop, they go, then they stop again, go again, etc.

If any of the pulleys in the chain "lock up" you're gonna lose a belt, and on our XJ's you're gonna be stranded (unless you have a spare).

Back