• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tent-Goers and Harlan

highspeed

NAXJA Forum User
I haven't seen too many folks talking about roughing it in a tent. My plan is to have my wife and my oldest daughter in a tent with me. That being said, I am a 13 year war vet in the Army (still in) and I have no problem sleeping in weird places with much less creature comforts than I have now. My wife is hardcore and once slept in a tent, in AZ, in Summer, at 8 month prego, on the ground. She is fine with that scenario for two nights.....she says. My daughter.......ehhh.....not so much but I can throw her in the XJ if needed.

I love to rough it when possible. Cooking on camp fires, slapping hummingbird size mosquitoes off my neck, smelling like a forest fire for 3 days, etc. I know there is a shower/potty complex available, but is it within decent distance to the tent camping area? This is more for my wife and daughter than anything.

I want this to be a great 1st Harlan experience for all of us, so I would like to include as many creature comforts as possible while still keeping the camping feeling. My tent sleeps 6 so it should be big enough for us.

Any advice from some other tent-going Crawlers?

The bath house is right in the middle of the tent area. Not more than a couple hundred feet from most any tent site.

If you and your family are light sleepers you may want to camp in the upper campground as most of the shenanigans happen in the main open field/campground. The upper ground is about a five minute walk to the bath house.

I'm looking forward to meeting all the new folks from other chapters!

Last edited:
The bath house is right in the middle of the tent area. Not more than a couple hundred feet from most any tent site.

If you and your family are light sleepers you may want to camp in the upper campground as most of the shenanigans happen in the main open field/campground. The upper ground is about a five minute walk to the bath house.

I'm looking forward to meeting all the new folks from other chapters!

The upper campground is awesome, very quiet. Lock your shit up because the bears down there like easy meals.

Yea we had a bear in the campground last year. There are two other upper camp areas if you want peace. The main camping area has two bath houses. The original one and the new nice one. Watch out for errant fireworks too if Nat is there! ;)

Yea we had a bear in the campground last year. There are two other upper camp areas if you want peace. The main camping area has two bath houses. The original one and the new nice one. Watch out for errant fireworks too if Nat is there! ;)

Yeah I read something about some loose fireworks targeting unsuspecting innocent tents. Ill keep an eye out for those!

Wooh, forgot that black bears are indigenous to that region. Any laws against packing heat on the park? I have a CCW from AL that is recognized in KY.

For the campground your CCL should be good. The trails are posted no firearms.

My biggest gripe when tent camping was the heat and noise, you are in a field off the road. The upper sites should resolve both of those issues.

I keep seeing this about the burnt tent and it kinda worries me since our Rtt wasn't cheap.
We usually like being in the middle of the crazyness but I am wondering if I need to be in the upper lot.
Is the lower area like camping just off a road in a field w no shade?

Last edited:
I keep seeing this about the burnt tent and it kinda worries me since our Rtt wasn't cheap.
We usually like being in the middle of the crazyness but I am wondering if I need to be in the upper lot.

The problem has been fixed, motar tube fell over and shot shell along the ground, blew up in tent. I remember like it was yesterday taking the rain tarp off the tent and smoke billowing out the top....it was priceless.

The problem has been fixed, motar tube fell over and shot shell along the ground, blew up in tent. I remember like it was yesterday taking the rain tarp off the tent and smoke billowing out the top....it was priceless.

Yea Nate and Doug get supervision whenever playing with fireworks! ;)

That tent totaly deserved what it got.
lol
it was not easy smoothing over that incident with you and Jennie standing there laughing and pointing.

Yea Nate and Doug get supervision whenever playing with fireworks! ;)

last year I came up with the ultimate solution. I did 500 dollars worth of mortars without incident from wienerbox spares. I even had music.

it was very pro feshunal.

I'd say since you're in the RTT and don't need soft ground, just park thta thing in the gravel. it's the only place there's shade anyhow. You'll want the shade.

Back