• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BDS Long Arm Question

Spokes

NAXJA Forum User
Whats up guys. I just got my BDS longs arms in. :loveu: BUT Im having issues with getting the bolts in for the cross member. The nuts inside my frame rails are to rusted for the bolts to catch. So, Im going to drop the cross member again and try a tap on the rusty nuts, hopefully that does the trick. BUT if it doesnt i was wondering if anyone has simple just drilled out the nuts and used through bolts? Fishing the bolts and washers through would be easy enough. Im no engineer but i think that would be the same strength right? I just wanna make sure there is nothing im over looking before I go ahead and do it. Im no noob for jeeps or anything just like to know best possibilities and other ideas from others lol

Also does anyone have an idea on arm lengths for 4.5" of lift?

And to keep it interesting some pics of the install so far. I can post more pics as the install goes along further if you would like.

This guys only took and hour each to get out... pain in the ass haha lots of heat and PB.

Jeep should ride and flex incredible once they are installed. The arm angle is gonna be pretty level :)

Last edited:
Those should be metric. If the threads are really bad, I've had success going with a next size larger SAE coarse tap. Don't remember what size. 3/8? Does that crossmember have another angle bracket that bolts to the side of the rail?

Those should be metric. If the threads are really bad, I've had success going with a next size larger SAE coarse tap. Don't remember what size. 3/8? Does that crossmember have another angle bracket that bolts to the side of the rail?

Yes there are side brackets also. The stock size is 10x1.5. That is what I'm going to try and tap first.

Read the instructions for arm length? They'll be there.

Didn't come with an instructions and the ones one their site do not specify length.

^^^^ This...

Read above ^

Did you get this kit used? It doesn't look used. The new always have instructions. Ask them direct. You can use bigger lift measurements, but the diff won't be in the correct place.

The 4 1/2" long arm kit is listed as you found, but the instructions are for a short arm kit.

This is a 6 1/2" kit, it will get you in the ballpark.
http://bds-suspension.com/instructions/014653-4.pdf

Here is their site. http://bds-suspension.com/

No its 100% new from BDS directly. Got a sticker but no directions lol thanks for the link.

I don't see how through bolts would work- you'd have no way to hold the captive end while you tightened it. Pray that the tap works and the nutserts dont start spinning in the frame. I've heard others say that they've drilled out to a larger size, but I wouldn't personally do that on a nutsert. One of the nuts inside the frame there is an actual nut, welded to the inside of the frame, the others are nutserts I believe.

On mine, the one that is an actual nut broke loose and spun in the frame- I cut a hole in the floorboard to access the inside of the channel and welded a new nut in. A lot of work for a stupid little nut.

Just do one side of the arms at a time. Starting with one LCA. Unbolt one and bolt up the new long arm in its place. The axle shouldn't move. But you could chalk the tire so it won't move at all.

Got the cross member in good and tight. Thankfully the tap did the trick! Now just got install arms and cut off old mounts. Hopefully can get to it today.

Run the lowers as long as you want. Just beware on how much thread you have in the arm. Too much exposed thread and you can bend the joint shank. Then you set the uppers for the caster you would like.

How can you do the install w/o instructions? That's a somewhat complicated kit.

I have the instructions at home, I'll check the lengths after work for you.

Another option is the Live Chat on their website.

I sent an E-mail to BDS about the wrong link for the instructions. Hopefully they will fix it soon. I can't imagine trying to install that kit without them.

Last edited:
That was quick... New link :

http://bds-suspension.com/instructions/014445.pdf

To answer your question, upper CA's: 28-1/8" eye to eye, lower CA's 32-1/8" eye to eye.

Oh, and I wouldn't bother with their sway bar disconnects, they are a joke. throw them away and get some JKS disconnects or something similar...

Last edited:
How can you do the install w/o instructions? That's a somewhat complicated kit.

I have the instructions at home, I'll check the lengths after work for you.

Another option is the Live Chat on their website.

I sent an E-mail to BDS about the wrong link for the instructions. Hopefully they will fix it soon. I can't imagine trying to install that kit without them.

Yeah i called and they told me just to look online and i told them it was wrong and they must have fixed it from both us saying something lol

It's a common sense install.

Yes it is but at the same time the cross member and tie ins would be a little rough without the directions. For instance drill out the frame to much than the bolt is useless. Just stupid stuff like that.

That was quick... New link :

http://bds-suspension.com/instructions/014445.pdf

To answer your question, upper CA's: 28-1/8" eye to eye, lower CA's 32-1/8" eye to eye.

Oh, and I wouldn't bother with their sway bar disconnects, they are a joke. throw them away and get some JKS disconnects or something similar...

Thank you! When I called the guy told me just to leave them as short as possible for 4.5" which what i did and i got pretty close to though numbers. (dont remember exactly) but i know i was within 1/4-1/2" of that.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Got the arms all in and tight. Didnt drive it yet cause i want the locktite to set up properly since some of the threads were a little iffy. Ill post some pics here after i do some test flexing and all :rof:

Yes it is but at the same time the cross member and tie ins would be a little rough without the directions. For instance drill out the frame to much than the bolt is useless.

Lay out all your nuts and bolts before hand and go over them. That should give you the idea of what not to do. I installed the same kit with no instructions.

Back