• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear swaybar swap out from Grand Cherokee to XJ

bradleyheathhays

NAXJA Forum User
I heard a while back that I can get rear sway bar off a junkyard Grand Cherokee and swap onto my '96 XJ for much better stability. What years Grand Cherokees will this work with; what models should I be looking for in the junk yards?

Thanks

I think you miss understood. I think what you saw was referring to the front bar not the rear. The front from any year ZJ will fit, although IIRc only the V8 bars are heavier than the XJs bar. Don't know and have never heard of the rear bar being swapped in. Most people remove the rear bar from the XJ.

The rear bar is mainly removed for off road use.. Beside the fact that it is sooo small it doesn't do much anyway. That said, the rear bar on a ZJ or WJ will be heavier than the one from an XJ. I wouldn't think it would be too hadr to adapt to an XJ. Doubt its a "bolt-on" mod, but shouldn't be too difficult to adapt.

I think you miss understood. I think what you saw was referring to the front bar not the rear. The front from any year ZJ will fit, although IIRc only the V8 bars are heavier than the XJs bar. Don't know and have never heard of the rear bar being swapped in. Most people remove the rear bar from the XJ.

I did not know the front sway bar on the V8 equipped WJ was bigger than the one on the XJ. I will be looking at this closely the next time I go to a Pick-Your-Part.

The plain Jane '94 XJ I used to have did come with a rear sway bar the removal of which was my first mod. I could not tell a difference with it removed. The Up Country I have now did not come with one.

IDK, if the sway bars from the V8 ZJ is bigger, just an assumption. Since the tie rod is heavier, the sway bar may also be heavier. The WJ stuff may also be heavier, being a more STREET oriented rig in the first place. IF the WJ stuff can be adapted I doubt it matters which motor the donor has.. Cause I'd bet the 4.0 I6 is just as heavy if not heavier than the WJ 4.6 V8.

Addco is the way to go.

The ZJ V8 bars are nothing to write home about and the WJ bars aren't much better... including the fact that they went with hollow bars at some point.
I am considering replacing the stock bars in the Wife's ZJ with a set of Addco units.
If you do go this route on the ZJ I recommend the Addco front bar for the earlier ZJ and change the end links to the earlier style (XJ style). The addco bars for the later ZJ have a goofy 90* piece to use the stock later end links.

Back