• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque steer issues

crockett

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I recently installed the Jcr offroad 1ton OTK steering kit. Had some bump steer, so I ordered some trac bar brackets, heims, and a stick of dom. It everything installed and my bump steer is gone and the steering feels real tight. Unfortunately, now I'm experiencing quite a bit of torque steer. Does anyone have an opinion on why this might be?

What axles/lockers are you running?

Rule #1 make sure tires on each axle are matched as far as height/amount of wear. Then match the tire pressure +/- 1 psi MAX.

So explain in detail what you are calling torque steer. Does it pull one way on acceleration and the other on deceleration?

Your probably feeling the effect of having a short track bar that is cycling in a different arch from the drag link as the suspension cycles.

You've just described bump steer ........ Torque steer is throttle induced

So explain in detail what you are calling torque steer. Does it pull one way on acceleration and the other on deceleration?

Yes sir. This is precisely what is happening. Whenever I accelerate, the jeep pulls right. Whenever I let off the gas and press in the clutch to shift gears or brake, it pulls back to the right

Last edited:
Did you change anything else at the same time as the steering upgrade? Brakes, locker, tires, etc.? What you describe sounds like something besides steering. Dragging brake, mismatched tire size / pressure, etc.? Did you have it aligned after you upgraded the steering? Just trying to get you thinking about possible causes.

I'm assuming it does this on road in 2wd?

Yes 2wd on the road. I installed the steering 2 weekends ago. Did my own alignment afterwards. This past weekend I did the trac bar on Saturday, as well as move my rear axle side shock mounts up. Sunday I pulled the steering and trac bar back off for paint. Reassembled Sunday afternoon.

Also, I didn't notice the torque steer until Saturday afternoon after the initial trac bar install.
How do y'all feel about motor mounts? My mounts have always been kinda whack. I'm wondering if the more solid connection from the steering and trac bar, is causing me to feel the problem more than before. Just spitballing

Take a good look at your old track bar and see how much longer it is than the new one. You have changed the geometry and there are consequences, positive and negative.
The track bar and drag link now move in separate arcs. The only way to reduce this is to move the spring seats rearward so a much longer track bar can be installed, with the axle end moved out to the C.
When you accelerate, weight transfers to the rear and the front rises a little. the opposite happens when decelerating.
Due to the disturbed geometry, the wheels turn a little in one direction, when the front rises, and in the opposite when the front drops, under braking.
My XJ, with the track bar using the normal axle mount, along with Currie steering pulls slightly to the left under hard braking, the result of the non-stock geometry.

The OEM spent millions on getting the suspension and steering to work together and then we go out and screw it up with mods. Expect some differences.

Make sure everything in the front end is tight. Looseness in any of the suspension or steering will let this effect become even more pronounced.
Drive it for a while and the corrective steering moves will become automatic.

Take a good look at your old track bar and see how much longer it is than the new one. You have changed the geometry and there are consequences, positive and negative.
The track bar and drag link now move in separate arcs. The only way to reduce this is to move the spring seats rearward so a much longer track bar can be installed, with the axle end moved out to the C.
When you accelerate, weight transfers to the rear and the front rises a little. the opposite happens when decelerating.
Due to the disturbed geometry, the wheels turn a little in one direction, when the front rises, and in the opposite when the front drops, under braking.
My XJ, with the track bar using the normal axle mount, along with Currie steering pulls slightly to the left under hard braking, the result of the non-stock geometry.

The OEM spent millions on getting the suspension and steering to work together and then we go out and screw it up with mods. Expect some differences.

Make sure everything in the front end is tight. Looseness in any of the suspension or steering will let this effect become even more pronounced.
Drive it for a while and the corrective steering moves will become automatic.

Thank you for this educated answer. I can live with it, I just needed to make sure it was not something else. Thanks again.

If you don't want to wait for a proper answer, feel free to go get your "free" help somewhere else.

Your lousy input is not needed. I got my proper answer, thanks anyways

It's not a bunch of little girls. It is a bunch of guys that have been building vehicles and dealing with these kinds of issues, in come cases, since long before you were born that get tired of people demanding a quick and simple answer without having all the facts.

If you pull to the right when you step on it and to the left when you let off the gas, the first thing to check is that the tire diameters are matched well on the drive axle. Swap the two rear tires and see if it changes. You could have a busted/slipped belt in one of the tires.

If you were running a locker, I would think it was having issues. If you turn sharp at low speeds and accelerate, do you hear the tires chirping?

You could have a problem with an axle that has a sheared locator pin and has slipped on the springs.

The next thing to check is for crapped out motor/tranny mounts.

Double check the pressure in the rear tires, then swap the rear tires and report back the results. While you have the tires off, stand them up side by side and check for a difference in height. Besides being the same height, they need to be the same brand/model.

Do a good visual check on the rear axle and how it sits in the vehicle, both side to side and front to back. Heck, grab a tape measure and measure from the front tires to the rear tires on each side, then check criss cross.

Back