• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fixed minor oil leak by switching brand of oil

Tony_SS

NAXJA Supporting Vendor
Ever since I installed my engine I've been running 10w30 Valvoline conv and have put about 3000 miles on it. I've had a slight leak from 3 rear oil pan bolts on the pass side. I would drip a quarter size every other evening.

I changed oil to Mobile super 5000 10w30 conv about 600 miles ago and my floor has been bone dry lately. Not sure if that change did something, but I'll take it!

Probably all leaked out already. :laugh:

My dad owned a 1987 Cherokee 4.0 for 15 years. When I got my 2000, it leaked a little from the rear main and oil pan gaskets. I replaced the gaskets and it didn't leave any more oil spots. A few days later my dad comes in and says "I think you better check the oil in your Jeep". I'm like why is that? He goes "I don't see any oil spots where you parked, it is probably low on oil". :rof:

Haha. I have yet to crawl underthere... I'm just looking underneath every morning and crossing my fingers.

It was a weird oil pan leak. When I installed it, I used a fel-pro blue, but no RTV (except on the RMS). It was leaking from the bolt studs.. it would drip from those 3 studs I mentioned in the OP. Strange to me. Oh well. I makes me want to use only Mobile brand oil now.

In my old Honda van, O'reilly had a sale on their oil. I used it and I'll be damned if the bastard didn't start leaking. I tried switching back to MaxLife and leak diminished but was still there.

i had a small drip start up, bout a nickel overnight. i used some restore in it, for a different reason, and it stopped ha. not an intention but hell i took it. even after a change it was still not leaking.

Back