• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel,Steering,Brake combos.... Please weigh in

Mirage mobile

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking to build a DD xj that handles and stops properly, both on and offroad.

I'm debating between the 2 or 3 following setups for wheels, steering, and braking.

I was set on 15" wheels and 33x10.5 tires, but when investigating potential steering solutions, the WJ setup is very appealing. I understand some have had success with 15" wheels clearing the calipers but I doubt my Eccos will. Therefore, I am considering 16" wheels with either 265/75r16 or 285/75r16 tires but the selection is quite limited when looking for load C or D ratings.

Please weigh in on pros/cons of each and your preference.

148g5e8.png

Your Eccos won't clear. Factory 15" steels require about 1.25" worth of spacer, so, ~4" back spacing. 16" aluminums should work. I'm surprised you find the tire selection an issue in 16", I thought truck tires were generally moving north in rim size?

WJ steering + steel wheels with 4" back space is my longer term goal. 16" rims are also fine but generally more expensive to buy & put tires on.

run the WJ knuckles with the currie steering. get brakes and good steering. go OTK on the driver side with a gofer it insert. that allows you to maintain the stock steering style and keep the stock track bar location.

Also, consider rear discs for better on-road braking... factory XJ drums SUCK. The star-wheel-self-adjuster thingy gets gunked up and stops working pretty quickly and then your getting almost no stopping out of your rear drum. (Do a fun little test: put the t-case in neutral, block the wheels and jack a rear wheel off the ground and spin it. If you don't hear and feel some brake shoe resistance then they aren't propoerly adjusted and that star-wheel-self-adjuster thingy is gummed up and not doing a proper job.)

Even properly adjusted the drums are no match for 33" tires though. I wouldn't call it a dangerous situation or anything, but I never could get them to lock up when simulating a panic brake at 25-35 MPH.

Tire selection for 17" wheels is way better. Look for some wrangler take offs on craigslist. You can land a set of rubicon 17" wheels for 2-300 here.

I've been running the 16" Rubi wheel/285/75/16 combo for nearly ten years. I run 1.25" billet adapters/spacers for 4" of backspacing. Clears my WJ Akebono brake calipers just fine. Maxxis Bighorns in a 285 are Load Range D and have performed well for me. I got 45k miles out of my last set and sold them with about 5k of tread life left on them.
Link for comparison of sizes/specs: http://www.tirepackage.com/Tires/Maxxis-Bighorn-Tires.aspx?t_c=13&t_s=533&t_pt=101497&t_pl=107594

BTW, I recently picked up a local set of 5 17" Rubi wheels with 300 miles on them for under $100.....

Link to my build thread, with pics of wheel clearance with 16" Rubi wheels and WJ knuckle conversion with hi-steer. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=913774&page=10

Last edited:
Nope, that's accurate. Wheels only, no tires. Seller threw in the factory lug nuts too. The wheels look brand new.

I've bought and sold about a dozen full sets of TJ Rubi wheels over the years.

I'm running 15" alloys with 3.25" backspacing. I have WJ knuckles/brakes and clearance is not an issue.

If they are a tire you are interested in General makes their Grabber Red Letters in a 33x10.5R16

Back