• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starting Problems Sometimes

Okay so I recently purchased my first 97 xj sport 4x4. I love it to death. But I have had this occurrence 3 times in the last week and will try my best to describe it. Sometimes when I get in and turn the key all of my electric things work and radio and lights but when I turn it into ignition to start it nothing happens, the fuel pump turns on, but no clicking or anything and when I do turn the key into ignition the only light that's pops up on the dash is my emergency break light. I have no idea why this happens and I have to try and crank it like 15 times for it to start. Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks guys.

Try starting it in neutral and/or wiggling the shifter while in park (I'm guessing you have a auto trans). I did have this issue and it turned out to be a slight cable adjustment and not the neutral safety switch.

It may also be starter brushes. Pretty common after a certain age (fair wear and tear) or on a starter that has been submerged in muddy water or a starter that is covered in oil form a leaky oil filter adapter.

Wiring or relay would be far down on my list of probable causes, but I did have to replace the relay to solenoid wire on my 96, some way the (main) connector on my starter got really hot (partially melted) and crisped my wiring (the insulation was really brittle).

Try starting it in neutral and/or wiggling the shifter while in park (I'm guessing you have a auto trans). I did have this issue and it turned out to be a slight cable adjustment and not the neutral safety switch.

It may also be starter brushes. Pretty common after a certain age (fair wear and tear) or on a starter that has been submerged in muddy water or a starter that is covered in oil form a leaky oil filter adapter.

Wiring or relay would be far down on my list of probable causes, but I did have to replace the relay to solenoid wire on my 96, some way the (main) connector on my starter got really hot (partially melted) and crisped my wiring (the insulation was really brittle).

I do have a fair amount of oil leak dripping from my valve cover (I have the gasket just need to replace) and it also looked like I'm dripping from that oil filter adapter too. Maybe that's the cause. I will check that out when I'm out of school. Thanks!

Back