• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is my rear axle too far forward?

spinaldex

NAXJA Forum User
So, I've done some searching and it seems that people with RE 4.5" rear leaf packs often have their axle slid pretty far forward. So, to confirm .. yep, got 4.5" leaves in the back. Running a set of Iron Man shackles and shackle relocation brackets in the rear for another ~2" of lift (http://www.ironman4x4fab.com/Products/RLS.html), front has 6.5" IRO coils.

So, looking at the picture do you think its a big deal? I mean, functionally it should be fine, but it looks sort of ... goofy ... to me.

BpoOben.jpg

You took a lift spring with a huge arch, then jacked the back of it up 3".

Looks like the result I would expect.

The reason is that your suspension moves in an arc. By lifting it and not increasing the distance between the front spring mount and the axle. The tire moves forward. By adding even more lift to the back of the spring, you lifted it more, thus moving the axle further forward.

If you want to see something scary, put it full droop. Your rear axle will suck under the back seat.

-Ron

So, long term, what's the fix? A longer and flatter spring and then extend the shackles? If so, does anyone know of a good replacement? Since the shackles I have are adjustable and give me about 2-3" of lift, I could get away with a 3.5" long set of springs I would think?

Last edited:
Options I see are:

* Reduce the amount of height in the back of the spring (Suck the shackle box into the frame/shorter shackle).
* Lengthen the distance between the front spring mount and the axle (longer Springs).
* Offset the Axle on the spring (Offset mounts).
* Combination of all of the above.

-Ron

flex it out, see where it hits at full stuff. chances are it will be close to center.

I think it's fine as it is. Mine are exactly like that, and when I'm stuffing a rear tire it goes exactly where it should.

I think that if I choose to slide it back, I would just get longer Springs instead of dropping the front leaf brackets. I just need to measure the RE 4,5 springs and see who has one that is 4" longer for a similar height.

I had the same problem with my springs. I got me a set from IRO. As you can see i got it centered with there springs.These spring are about 2 yrs old.

Yes i sit up high and i like it that way.NO 3 legged dog here.LOL

Awesome. IRO springs it is! How high up are you and what springs/shackle combination did you go with if you don't mind my asking?

Back