• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yet another Dana 30 build - what am I forgetting?

hjeepxj

#OCDINK
NAXJA Member
Just picked up the Dana 30 I will be using, thanks to a fellow CO board member.

I am going to complete this and then dial in the steering, it is going to be a slow process at first.

This is the list I have:

Trackbar Bracket JKS $43
Swaybar Brackets (x2) JKS $40
Akenobo Calipers Jeepsareus $209
Slotted Rotors Iron Rock $140
Hub Spacers (x2) JKS $40
D30 Truss Ballistic Fab $82
Artec Inner C Gussets Artec $80

WJ Knuckles $100
01 XJ Hubs $80
01 XJ Upper Ball Joints $40
01 WJ Lower Ball Joints $40

TOTAL $894

Barnes 4wd LCA Mounts HAVE
Barnes 4wd UCA Mount HAVE
Crane Diff Cover HAVE
Axle Tube Seals HAVE
Super 30 Kit w/ARB HAVE
Dana 30 R&P Install Kit HAVE
D30 HP 4.88 Gears HAVE

Two questions so far, if I get a set of Teves WJ knuckles, and the "Jeepsareus" Akenobo calipers, will I have to source a set of Akenobo caliper brackets? I can't tell if they come with the Jeepsareus setup.

Also, already having an aftermarket HD UCA mount for the passenger side, will it be effective to use the Balistic fab truss? Or should I grab some 2x4 thick box steel and fab one?

Sounds like you have it all covered. You can use your existing passenger side UCA with the ballistic truss. You'll just have to cut around it. It's not a big deal. That's what I did.

Sounds like you have it all covered. You can use your existing passenger side UCA with the ballistic truss. You'll just have to cut around it. It's not a big deal. That's what I did.

I already have a Barnes passenger side UCA mount - but your statement is still valid.

Thank you for your input! That is the plan :)

Did you review this write up in the FAQ section?

Yes.

Thank you.

Got a link?

I actually don't know if it is Barnes, it's third hand at this point, but here's a pic:

10288754_10100687709581702_8277127618173684277_n.jpg

Looks purty. Couldn't find it on Barnes website.

It's baller status with the star cut into it. :sunshine:

In all seriousness it is thick as heck.

pretty sure that it is indeed barnes with that star speed hole

I was lookin at doing the ballistic truss, it's a good truss. I ultimately decided against it and went with Artec's truss, it comes in pieces so cutting it to fit your UCA mount will be much easier, plus I was able to pick it up from 4wheel parts for 89$ with out paying for shipping.

I used '03 TJ unit bearings/hubs for the WJ swap, they may be the same PN. I can check in the morning. But the Akebono caliper brackets are different than the Teves brackets. Most of the time if you buy loaded calipers they will come with new caliper brackets, guides, pins and pads.

Just my .02$

943E52F3-2574-4DF5-B4C2-0C269F2D9CCE_zpslui7cnxu.jpg

Last edited:
That star improves efficiency by 40% :grin:

I was hoping for 50-60%... :(

:D

pretty sure that it is indeed barnes with that star speed hole

10-4

I was lookin at doing the ballistic truss, it's a good truss. I ultimately decided against it and went with Artec's truss, it comes in pieces so cutting it to fit your UCA mount will be much easier, plus I was able to pick it up from 4wheel parts for 89$ with out paying for shipping.

I used '03 TJ unit bearings/hubs for the WJ swap, they may be the same PN. I can check in the morning. But the Akebono caliper brackets are different than the Teves brackets. Most of the time if you buy loaded calipers they will come with new caliper brackets, guides, pins and pads.

Just my .02$

$89 isn't bad - was it a sale? I have a 4 Wheel Parts local.

I like the Artec truss, it's just more expensive especially considering I'm going to have to mod the heck out of it to get the P. side UCA mount to fit.

Thank you for the WJ info, LMK on the TJ part #. If all else fails, I can grab some TJ hubs.

Also, it looks like I'll have to clarify with Jeepsareus on whether or not they come with the brackets.

Thanks again!!

X2 on whitexj98. He gave me the idea for mine as well.

I checked on the hubs, Orielly's has them listed as the same PN. So you're good.

4wheelparts has the truss listed at 89.99 with free shipping. That's really the main reason I went with the Artec truss over ballistic.Click me!

I did something similar with the UCA, but to clear out some metal for yours wouldn't be bad, just comes down to personal preference.

C04B1B00-F879-46A8-9409-83BAD5FEFD8E_zpsc8mb0bdp.jpg

If you already have the ballistic truss, just use it. I cut the top piece so it would fit around the passenger side UCA and braced the hell out of it. I had a 3-link and didn't have a UCA mount on the driver's side although the top of the truss is obviously made thick enough to hold one though.

Get the clayton axle side trackbar bracket. The JKS is a bit short for WJ. They sell a whole WJ conversion kit with everything which is a bit pricey, but they also sell the individual parts. Their track bar bracket and swaybar mounts will work better. The ballistic fab truss requires you whack off drivers side UCA mount. The ARTEC truss is probably the nicest D30 truss out there, I've installed a couple. Do the artec with the johnny joints and the Clayton track bar bracket. The Ballistic truss will bend if you put a drivers side UCA mount on it unless you weld it to the diff housing.

https://www.claytonoffroad.com/temp...ALL&subname=na&pagename=Online Store > ALL >

https://www.claytonoffroad.com/temp...e=Online Store > > High Steer Swaybar Mount

Last edited:
Dont forget to get some TJ Rubicon front D44 inner axle seals. The 30 spline shafts are much larger than the cute little stock 27 spline shafts.

Good call!

X2 on whitexj98. He gave me the idea for mine as well.

I checked on the hubs, Orielly's has them listed as the same PN. So you're good.

4wheelparts has the truss listed at 89.99 with free shipping. That's really the main reason I went with the Artec truss over ballistic.Click me!

I did something similar with the UCA, but to clear out some metal for yours wouldn't be bad, just comes down to personal preference.

I think I have been convinced on the Artec truss, it will be just as easy to cut it to fit as it would the Barnes truss.

Thank you for the link!!! That is a great price!

If you already have the ballistic truss, just use it. I cut the top piece so it would fit around the passenger side UCA and braced the hell out of it. I had a 3-link and didn't have a UCA mount on the driver's side although the top of the truss is obviously made thick enough to hold one though.

I don't have the Barnes truss - nice setup though!! Looks stout

Get the clayton axle side trackbar bracket. The JKS is a bit short for WJ. They sell a whole WJ conversion kit with everything which is a bit pricey, but they also sell the individual parts. Their track bar bracket and swaybar mounts will work better. The ballistic fab truss requires you whack off drivers side UCA mount. The ARTEC truss is probably the nicest D30 truss out there, I've installed a couple. Do the artec with the johnny joints and the Clayton track bar bracket. The Ballistic truss will bend if you put a drivers side UCA mount on it unless you weld it to the diff housing.

Thank you very much for the insight, I will do the Clayton Trackbar and swaybar mounts, along with the Artec truss.

You weren't kidding on the price of the WJ Conversion:

https://www.claytonoffroad.com/temp...> High Steer System (TJ and LJ and XJ and ZJ)

Seriously might as well do a 44 for that $! :eek:

Last edited:
yup, I can source knuckles here for way cheaper, and build the trackbar and drag link out of 1.25" .120 wall, then do a 1.5" .25 wall with offset TRE's for the tie rod.

Back