• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing Engine and Transmission

splitz

NAXJA Forum User
I have found instructions on removing just the transmission, but can you remove both the engine and transmission as one unit?

I ask because:

1. I will be removing them both anyway
2. My long arm kit makes removing the transmission "fun"

The only way I've ever done it. The down side is most motor hoists are at the edge of their capabilities supporting the motor, the tranny and the transfer, the whole unit weighs a lot. Another is, even with the complete front clip removed the transfer is going to hit the ground before you can get the front of the engine high enough for the bell housing to clear the firewall and the lower radiator mount, the whole unit is long. I had to jack the XJ up, get the motor, tranny and transfer most of the way out, then lower the body to get the hoist up high enough to clear the rest.

IMO it was still easier than separating the two and taking them out separately. Though the next time I may try removing the transfer first. The balance point is way towards the rear and very near where the bell housing bolts up to the tranny or near the rear of the head.

I've take many motors out in sections (other than the XJ), not that big of a deal, but getting the motor mated back up with the tranny, when you re-install it in the vehicle can be a pain. You not only have to really watch out not to damage anything, the height and the angle are critical. Way too much trial and error IMO and a greater the chance of screwing something up. I prefer to mate the sections up on the ground and then re-install them as a unit, if possible.

It will come out in one shot. I've never split them, ever. Run a strap back to the transfer to keep it semi balanced. You may need to set it down on the front cross member to readjust the chains but it can be done.

@8Mud - The length of the unit was what I am worried about. I'm guessing that you removed the transmission cross-member, which is what I was trying to avoid since I have a long-arm.

@shelbyluvv - Same question to you...did you remove the transmission cross-member when you pulled everything out, or did you just unbolt the transmission from it?

I have only NOT done this once, except when pulling only a tranny. I hate dealing with bellhousing bolts under the jeep, so if the engine is coming out, the tranny and tcase are along for the ride.

The smaller HF engine hoist will do it fine, even on maximum arm extension. It claims to be rated for 500lbs in that position iirc, I had zero problems with a 4.0/aw4/np231 dangling off it, bouncing around finagling things up and out.

Get the load leveling bar. You will be much happier with it than trying to rearrange chains.

Pull the transfer case off, it is too wide to get out through the trans tunnel easily unless you have a taller engine hoist than I do or lower the front end down onto the axle or something.

And yes, remove the crossmember. It would be horrible trying to get the tranny+tcase up and over it. If you pull the transfer case, you might avoid having to do this... but it will suck.

I always pull the cross member.

Load levelers rule.

And although I've never pulled a Jeep engine/trans, on every other vehicle I've eved done, I jacked the rear of the car up as high as I could. It creates a better angle to get the assembly out.

Back