• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP!!!!

Oregon91XJ

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 91 jeep cherokee and it has a knock. it knocks when i am in idle but goes away when i take it out of park. But when i put it in reverse it tries to die and it makes a gnarly knocking sound when it does it....Please Help!!

Welcome!

Its a good idea to include engine displacement, transmission type etc. It eliminates a bit of guesswork.

Assuming that it is a 4.0L w/ AW4 auto trans, it sounds like the flexplate between the engine and torque convertor broke. This has a sensor ring on its perimeter for the engine computer to do its thing, which can cause a stall if it's acting all wonky.

Hopefully you have some mechanical skill as replacement (if I'm correct ;) ) requires engine or transmission removal.

Others will chime in w/ opinions and or ideas.

it it is the flexplate it can be replaced by only unbolting the tranny from the engine and moving it back far enough to work. Get under there and remove the inspection cover, and get a wrench on a nut and turn it completely around, looking for cracks or loose bolts. I've had to tighten them up on 2 XJ's, both '96's.

Back