• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacement drivers seat choices

tkotitan

NAXJA Forum User
(as an aside) I am getting tired of not being able to have a sig to state my XJ specs. If I am missing something in the control panel someone message me.

'94 XJ 5spd 4.0L 2dr SE. Chrysler axle.

So the 94 (I believe pre 96) has no raised floor for the front seat, making the transfer case sit a little lower underneat.

I am a bigger guy and have broken 2 Jeep seats before I got creative. Part of the problem was one stud was sinking through the floor with a little hole of rust punching through. This is due in part to having 3.07 gears on the 5 speed, it is so touchy and has so much gogogo that I break seats.

I said to myself the old Volvo seats were much tougher. There are no hinges for folding the seat, but a big crank wheel that is indestructible. I took the passenger seat out of an old Volvo 740 because it was in better shape than the drivers and welded the sucker in there. The problem is that the tranny takes up much more space in the XJ and I needed to raise the deck to fit the chair in there.

My mechanic had the idea - cut 2 pieces of C-channel and drill holes for the stock bolts. We did, and then welded the chair frame to that. It barely fit, and since I am tall if I am sitting up straight and hit a bump my head will bounce off the ceiling sometimes.

The nice thing about the c-channel trick is it covers any small floor holes and gives it a nice solid base.

Not sure if I recommend this again since like I said, it barely fit. But it is so much more comfortable. I cannot slide it back and forth because we had to weld it down. But I do have a million degrees of incline adjustment with the big crank. So yeah, no getting in the back from the driver's side, people have to use the passenger door which has the stock 2dr seat.

Annoyed today because the seat is starting to break, springs and internal attachments are making it shift more. Since I have the setup I may try another volvo seat since I know it fits in mine. At least I can take it out.

Any suggestions on a comfy alternative seat? Howabout on a budget?

ZJ seats are bigger and will work with the stock XJ bracket. That might be your cheapest option to find some at a junkyard or a PaP.

I do love my corbeaus though...

I have front seats from a WJ. They are larger and way more comfortable than the stock XJ seats. They also work with the stock XJ bracket. I got mine from a local junk yard.

Zj and WJ seats are very comfortable. But only really work with 4 door xjs. 2door rigs need the flip forward function to axess the rear seats. Any one have any good options for 2door guys.

Comanches also need the flip forward capability. I have a Mastercraft Baja RS drivers seat. Very comfortable, although a bit pricey. I got a good deal on mine. Smittybilt and Corbeau have flip forward seats at a better price point.

I don't need the flip down function. I believe my last chair was an older XJ seat with no flip forward - it wasn't that comfortable and I broke it. But that happens with old driver seats in general.

But I do need the bracket that fits a non-raised floor. And gets me over the tranny mound. What years of ZJ and WJ could I grab that fit pre-96 style chairs?

Did you break the original floor mount? Most guys use the factory adjuster floor rails and adapt a new see to that. In general seats have four mounting points on a flat plane. They bolt to the floor rails with them.

I put some black vinyl Bestop Trailmax 2 pros in my Mj a few months back. They are kinda pricey, but I like them.

Back