• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Solar Battery maintainer?

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
As I don't drive the XJ as often as I should or actually even would like to the battery drops to a point that's too low from time to time. Picked up a nice solar cell that gives a steady 24V in sunlight and I'm wondering about it being used as a "maintener".

I figure I can plug it into an accessory outlet and should see 24V at the battery? Or is there a voltage regulator someplace in the system that's making me see 12V and change? Also any adverse effects to putting that on the gel cel battery? I use the Sears one.

I'm not sure about a 24V cell, but I use a 12V cell with alligator clips for the positive and negative post on the battery. When I store my extra vehicle, I place the cell on top of the dash binnacle inside the vehicle in direct sunlight. I then run the alligator clips through the door and under the hood directly to the battery. This was a harbor freight purchase ($14.99 I believe) and it has worked reliably for me for years. It's maiden voyage was Black Rock City at Burning Man in 2006 and it has worked perfectly ever since.

I b;ieve that the 12/24 V means that can be used for either system. As long as there is a diode in the unit to prevent overcharging. No reason it should not work as a maintainer. I have a similar unit that I have used on my XJ. It now resides in my Dub,as that gets the least usage.

I have a 12v, 4 amp solar trickle charger I use for my boat battery. I also use it for my trolling motor deep cycle battery. Always charged. Love these things. Only $22 at the local RV shop.

I ended up going to HarborFreight again and bought the voltage regulator gizmo hookup that they have. It will work with up to 100W so it has future expansion options :) And it was only $20 with a coupon ;)

Absolutely what Johnnywalker said! Must have the unit that prevents overcharging. My friend killed a new marine battery for his boat because of overcharge from the harbor freight solar panel....

The solar panels I came across in the past were always rated between 13 and 15 volts. I have not heard of a 24 volt unit. For a 24 volt system we used to tie two panels in series. I guess making 24 volt units could be of value to many. For a 12 volt system, the correct voltage regulator will keep high voltage in check.

I have a Sunsei solar panel rated at 22.5 watts at 15 volts for about 5 years which charges dual Optima 800 amp batteries and no voltage regulator. It have maintained the batteries for more than 3 years while I was out of the country. Those batteries remain at about 12.6 volts all year long. If I was using only one battery or a higher rated panel I would have added a voltage regulator to the mix.

A funny thing though is, several manufactures marketed a 6 watt unit to be used as a battery maintainer which were proven useless in many automobiles. 6 watts will actually charge less than .50 (1/2) an AMP at 12 volts in peak sunlight and nothing at all after sundown. Many users complain of dead batteries while using this/these units. To maintain a battery it need to be charged at 1 AMP and maintained this way 24 hours and 7 days per week. This especially true in newer vehicles with all that parasitic electronics.

As I don't drive the XJ as often as I should or actually even would like to the battery drops to a point that's too low from time to time. Picked up a nice solar cell that gives a steady 24V in sunlight and I'm wondering about it being used as a "maintener".

I figure I can plug it into an accessory outlet and should see 24V at the battery? Or is there a voltage regulator someplace in the system that's making me see 12V and change? Also any adverse effects to putting that on the gel cel battery? I use the Sears one.
Really dont like these cells.Very expensive and of not much use..:yap::yap:

I use the $15 one from Harbor freight as does my father. My XJ and his pickup are not used that often.

They work great! His pickup sat from November to February in a NY State winter and it spun over like new after sitting for 3 months in one of the colder winters we have had.

As I don't drive the XJ as often as I should or actually even would like to the battery drops to a point that's too low from time to time. Picked up a nice solar cell that gives a steady 24V in solar panel and I'm wondering about it being used as a "maintener".

Really dont like these cells.Very expensive and of not much use..:yap::yap
:

I was taking about solar cells

Back