• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ axles cv replacements

dfcar1

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 Cherokee classic. I need info on replacement reman axles. Right front axle is bad, I replaced the u-joint but I had trouble and it has a vibration. First off, price is my only concern. I bought reman axles from my supplier and they sent me 2 sets of grand cherokee axles with CV joints.
Both sets were too long. I read conflicting info and there is a ton of info about swapping but I cant find anything about the axle lengths. I have seen othe reman axle sites that list the same part numbers for grand cherokee axles?? No one lists the actual lengths. I forgot to measure the axle when I had it out but it was 1 1/2 2 inches shorter.

the reason your grand cherokee axles are to long is cause the 99-04 Grand cherokee had a wider d30 than XJ's, i would suggest getting a set of shafts from the junkyard from a 96-01 XJ or 95-98 ZJ with u joints and swap them in, if your vibes go away then install new ujoints and you will have a spare set of shafts

my first thought is that they sent you axles for a 2000 grand cherokee WJ, the WJ has wider axles that the XJ so that would explain the length difference, but i do not know exact measurements.
pretty much any u-joint axle or CV axle from any XJ, or grand cherokee up to 98 (ZJ) will fit your application.
if you dont plan on any off-roading there isnt any reason you cant run the cheaper ZJ CV shafts. otherwise stick with u-joint axles.

Thanks they must have sent the wj axles. Their listing is screwed up with the part numbers. I will try the zj axles.

replace U joint again and do it right this time. If the ears are fubar you can get junkyard shafts. take your time.

also most driveline shops around here will swap a U joint for 15$ labor plus cost of Joint.

Back