• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Suspension for fast bumps!

Draven1474

NAXJA Forum User
Driving on a long rough dirt road today as I usually do for hunting and man it just beat the snot out of my xj unless I slow down to 3mph, and I also noticed my jeep is rough on the road when I hit bumps, just kind of jarring. I know its a jeep rides like a jeep but what can I do to make it handle those bumps better? Right now it has a 3'' lift and procomp shocks

Shocks definitely need upgrade. Bilstein 5100/equivalent or better. Depending on lift, better coils/leafs needed.

If those are the standard es3000's, they're pretty much the worst possible shock for fast and rough. Among other things, they pack up really bad and you start losing fillings out of your teeth.
Depending on budget, bilstein 5100's or fox 2.0's are a good start to a better performing suspension. Good shocks will do wonders.

Shocks are es3000, the leafs in the rear im pretty sure are procomp and not sure for the coils. so should I upgrade springs or shocks first?

From what people have told me, do shocks first.
A stiffer spring setup will help, too, but (again, I've been told) not so much as a good shock.
EDIT: I think fox 2.0s were "only" $120 apiece, depending which line / which options you go with. Rebuildable shocks = win, and you can tune them. When you're done with them, they'll sell.

Have tried OME shocks , Bilstein 5100s (too stiff) and now Bilstein 5165s.
Love the 5165s, softer riding on the street and much better control off road, on harder hits.
Stiffer springs should work better for high speed driving.

The low end fox shocks are not rebuildable. Anything rebuildable will likely be at least $200 each.

I have fox 2.0 up front and bilstein 5100 in rear

Foxs are definitely stiffer

You mean your foxes are valved stiffer; saying foxes are stiffer is like saying blondes are hotter .. it just means you looked at the wrong damned redhead.

;)

I have the fox 2.0s IFPs, I'm not sure of the valving but the PN is 985-24-042. They are defiantly stiff on the bumps, but off road they are a great shock.

The low end fox shocks are not rebuildable. Anything rebuildable will likely be at least $200 each.

Well, tell Fox. They list the IFP's at $65 a pop to rebuild and Quadratec sells them for $115

So everywhere I read people recommend the billstein shocks, and the 5100 series come up a lot for the light xj, and ive never heard people complaining about them being stiff until I created this thread, so what are your opinions on the 5100's?

Its a baseline decent shock. If you want to go fast or beat on your jeep at all, its still not enough shock.. but if you drive it to work, hit the dirt once a month or so, and just want to be able to handle the small bumps decent without ever bottoming out or jumping - they are totally the right shock for you.

Think of the 5100 series as the Blue Moon Beer of the shock world. Its sure better than drinking a bud light, but its no craft beer. You don't buy Blue Moon and expect your beer brewing friends to give you that nod of approval.. they'll recognize you aren't drinking Budweiser and want a little flavor in your life, but at the same time know that you aren't ready for the big leagues.

The 5150's are more of your Guinness or Stone brewing. Still mass production, available at every store off the shelf, but just a little more serious.

If you're expecting a shock that you would compare to a fine beer from The Bruery or Deschutes, the 5100 series shock is not the shock for you. That would be a 7000 series or 9000 series shock.

5100's are perfectly good shocks for most people.. just remember that you're still buying an $80 shock in a very expensive industry.

(that said, I drink blue moon beer, and I run 5100 shocks on my tow rig..)

Last edited:
Its a baseline decent shock. If you want to go fast or beat on your jeep at all, its still not enough shock.. but if you drive it to work, hit the dirt once a month or so, and just want to be able to handle the small bumps decent without ever bottoming out or jumping - they are totally the right shock for you.

Think of the 5100 series as the Blue Moon Beer of the shock world. Its sure better than drinking a bud light, but its no craft beer. You don't buy Blue Moon and expect your beer brewing friends to give you that nod of approval.. they'll recognize you aren't drinking Budweiser and want a little flavor in your life, but at the same time know that you aren't ready for the big leagues.

The 5150's are more of your Guinness or Stone brewing. Still mass production, available at every store off the shelf, but just a little more serious.

If you're expecting a shock that you would compare to a fine beer from The Bruery or Deschutes, the 5100 series shock is not the shock for you. That would be a 7000 series or 9000 series shock.

5100's are perfectly good shocks for most people.. just remember that you're still buying an $80 shock in a very expensive industry.

(that said, I drink blue moon beer, and I run 5100 shocks on my tow rig..)

I don't drink so I cant really relate but I think I know what your taking about,

Im still kind of confused about shock valving and what not, didn't realize it was so complicated, I want to get the best bang for my buck under 500.00$, are the bilstein shocks designed for the Cherokees or are they universal for most vehicles? Here in Utah the roads are pretty shitty so I would be nice to just fly over rough bumps and holes, on road and offroad !

5100's are vehicle specific, 5125's are universal. Both are considered "5100s", so the answer to your question is "yes"

Back