• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alignment Spec / DW Issues

RITKZ2014

NAXJA Forum User
I have

1996 XJ with 3 inches lift - 31x10.5 with stock rims - stock u/l and track bar.

Took XJ to Alignment Shop.

:explosion DW 30mph+ with potholes :explosion

Before:

LF / RF

Camber: -0.5 / 0.3
Caster: 5.7 / 5.5
Toe: 0.07 / 0.15

Total Toe: 0.22
Steer Ahead: -0.04

After:

Toe: 0.01 / 0.01

Total Toe: 0.02
Steer Adeqd: 0.01

I did the 12/6 & 9/3 on both wheels, look for any play/loose in steering - didn't find any play/loose. :confused1 :banghead:

You have to relocate your trackbar, as it is the axle is not centered and should be a little too far to the drivers side. drill a hole on the axle side or spend the dosh and get a decent adjustable track bar. it will most likely solve the problem, it did for me when the exact thing was happening to me (3"-3.5" coils, got an IRO double shear track bar). youll probably need another alignment too.

You have to relocate your trackbar, as it is the axle is not centered and should be a little too far to the drivers side. drill a hole on the axle side or spend the dosh and get a decent adjustable track bar. it will most likely solve the problem, it did for me when the exact thing was happening to me (3"-3.5" coils, got an IRO double shear track bar). youll probably need another alignment too.

:shocked:Do not drill a new hole for only a 3" lift.

It would be too close to the existing hole.

That only good for 4.5" lift. :shocked:

I use stock track bar for over 5 years now.

DW slowly start come in after I hit brakes so hard and turn left to avoid hit the f_ucker try cross in my path .

I had to relocate my track bar, and a friend with the same exact coils as me drilled a new hole.
RE 3.5s
I assumed you had only just lifted it, sorry.

After:

LF / RF

Toe: 0.01 / 0.01

Total Toe: 0.02
Steer Adeqd: 0.01

Should I take it back to alignment and force them to fix my camber/caster this

Angle ............. Preferred ........... Range ............. Max R/L diff.

Caster ...........+7.0* ........ +5.25* to +8.5* ......... 1.25*
Camber ...........-0.25* ....... -0.75* to +0.5 ........... 1.0*
Total Toe-in .... +0.25* ....... 0* to +0.45* ............. .05*
Thrust angle .... 0* to ± 0.15*

Thanks again.

I had to relocate my track bar, and a friend with the same exact coils as me drilled a new hole.
RE 3.5s
I assumed you had only just lifted it, sorry.

I guess it works for you. :)

Yup I put 3 inches lift packs ( shocks, coil, spring leaf and shackles ).

Thanks WarGin for tips

New Steering stabilizer, front wheel balance and realingment did the job.

I got answer from other sites quicker than this.

Thanks anyway

Thanks anyway

Wow, we got ..............

2eokzfc.jpg

Thanks anyway

A steering stabilizer will mask the DW and the real problem may still exist. Not saying the problem wasn't the wheel balance and alignment, but if it was something else, you might still have a problem.

if a stabilizer "fixed" it you still have a problem. how are the rod ends /bushings on the track bar ? 4 frame side track bar bolts tight as hell ( use a long breaker bar and tighten em) ? if their advice was a stabilizer then you probably had some idiot web wheelers somewhere tell you get a new stabilizer.

track bar and/or track bar mounting is probably the culprit. also a bad tire can do it.

you are 100% sure the tie rod ends in the tie rod and drag link are good?

Back