• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep dies on reverse

a_ibrahem

NAXJA Forum User
Hello Guys ,

have 2000 sport XJ AT ,with 32" wheels with a lift

today while driving when shifting to R the jeep dies ,the RPM goes to 0 and it shuts down

it happen twice both on a incline ground (upwards)

after that it drove fine ,at home connected the scanner and found these codes

p0743 1-2/4-5 solenoid circuit
p0753 TCC solenoid circuit
p0756 Shift solenoid 2 functional performance
p0740 TCC out of range

I live in Dubai ,and its really hot in here so i believe the transmission had good amount of heat.

a month ago had the jeep not shifting to OD ,then ordered set of 3 solenoids and replaced them all with filter and fluid ,then its driving normal and shifting fine to all gears.

what does these codes means if the Jeep is running fine ?

You will need to search for testing the solenoids. Note: Just because parts are new, does not mean they are good. Maybe it was just a fluke? Clear the codes, drive it. Maybe try driving in the same area, or at least in similar conditions. I definitely recommend adding a transmission cooler , with a fan if possible.

Hello Johnnie

thanks for reply

I already have a cooler but no fan ,

I assume solenoids are fine because it shifts fine not because they are new ,I totally agree with you.

but if its solenoids issue why the engine dies ? i guess it should not move backwards only right ?

BR,
Ahmed

A shorted solenoid will pull down the B+ rail if the computer tries to energize it, causing the engine to die.

Temporarily remove fuse 10 from the JB then see if the engine dies in reverse.

20002001xjjb.jpg

Ok something new happened this Friday , while offloading it was still having the Reverse issue I noticed it's doing this only while climbing up wards

On one climb it died and didn't start after

We pulled the jeep out , found out no petrol on the rail pump is replaced like 4 month ago , filter and valve 2 weeks ago

Checked relay is fine all fuses is fine

What that could be ?

If I remember right loose bellhousing bolts have been known to cause said problems. The bh pulls away frim the block slightly and causes cps to loose signal. Which I believe would cause a no spark/fuel.

thank you go1lum ,
have read some articles about the CPS ,all symptoms in my jeep is points to CPS

fuel & voltage gauges not moving when key is on position
no bus codes
no fuel pressure

BUT CPS was replaced few month back ,can it fail in just few months ?
and as i live in dubai and weather is hot (about 45 degree ) will that affect the CPS ?

any precautions while changing ?

thank you go1lum ,
have read some articles about the CPS ,all symptoms in my jeep is points to CPS

fuel & voltage gauges not moving when key is on position
no bus codes
no fuel pressure

BUT CPS was replaced few month back ,can it fail in just few months ?
and as i live in dubai and weather is hot (about 45 degree ) will that affect the CPS ?

any precautions while changing ?

What he is saying is not a failure of the CPS rather than a loss of connection. If your bell housing is loose then it seperates just a little in reverse and this seperation causes the CPS to loose its signal. I could see the same happening on a hill climb as well. I would get under your Jeep and remove the inspection cover for the flex plate and gently pry the flex plate back and forth to see if it moves or if the transmission itself is seperating from the engine.

Thank you miceanic ,

i understand what you mean ,will try to see that soon hopefully it's fixed tight
today i replaced the CPS and it started right away ,

have you guys tested these CPS on ebay ?there some cheap ones there do they really work ?

Hello Guys ,

its confusing me now ,after the jeep died on me and didn't want to start i found the CPS faulty and replaced it then it started

now its not shifting to 4th gear ever it stays in 3rd only
i haven't got new CPS sensor so replaced it with old one till i get the new one.

before that it was shifting fine although it was giving codes : p0743,p0753,p0758,p0740,p0122

is CPS related to shifting ?

Hello Guys ,

its confusing me now ,after the jeep died on me and didn't want to start i found the CPS faulty and replaced it then it started

now its not shifting to 4th gear ever it stays in 3rd only
i haven't got new CPS sensor so replaced it with old one till i get the new one.

before that it was shifting fine although it was giving codes : p0743,p0753,p0758,p0740,p0122

is CPS related to shifting ?

TPS is (ref. P0122).

I was not able to disconnect the tcu and shift manually
How to do so ?

I tried to disconnect the black connector next to dipstick and drive it but still not shifting

Looks like it's locked in a gear and not changing up or down
Am not sure which gear is it

How to test solenoids ?

Back