• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Backup camera

NCCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Something simple, but now that I have it I love it.

Wanted a backup camera, didn't want to spend a lot of money. Bought this Pyle on amazon with camera and wiring harness for $60 shipped. Mounted the camera above the license plate and aimed just so I could see the tip of the trailer ball.

uvemu2uq.jpg

The AV wire goes from hatch to body along the upper driver side trim, down driver a pillar to the monitor. The camera is ground to the hatch, and 12v comes out hatch to the body, where it meets the 12v to the monitor. They are soldered together then heat shrinked. The 12v power comes from my fitchbox in the rear quarter panel. I did it this way because I wired them up to a switch on my switchbox, so I could use it any time.
a7esymut.jpg

Currently it isn't hooked up to the reverse lights to automatically engage it in reverse. I did this for my backup lights so I could use both a switch and have it work automatically. I may just have a jumper from the backup light relay to the camera relay in the future.

The monitor comes with two sides sticky tape and I mounted it next to the gauge cluster and A pillar. It's only a 3.5" monitor, any bigger wouldn't fit in that spot, and I wanted to minimize obstruction to driving view

y9emu8un.jpg

You can kinda tell its location

Monitor has distance scale lines. For me they aren't accurate because of how I positioned the camera to catch the trailer ball. So 3m is more like 3 feet. If I pointed it up higher I can essentially calibrate it.

qa3udu6y.jpg

yra8arym.jpg

Now that I've done it, my wife wants one on her car. I'm also kinda thinking it'd be nice to have one on the front bumper down low angled downwards for trail obstacle stuff, and use a monitor you can switch back and forth between different camera inputs.

Oh and a little note, I had some interference with the monitor this morning, that wasn't there last night. Apparently it was because I turned the rear wiper on. Don't know if it's because of the ground on the wiper bracket, or just due to current running through the wiper harness which is near the camera harness, but nothing else seemed to affect it.

Part of the reason I went with a hard wired system is due to the reports of interference with the wireless systems.

Also before anyone says you should just look backwards to backup...I do. But this is nice given my spare tire on the rear bumper, and is way easier for my wife to use, especially if she has to help with a trailer. Plus it's fun. And all new cars are mandated to have rear view cameras by 2018. It's definitely good for safety, I watched my son run behind the jeep after I pulled in the driveway after work and saw him first on the monitor.

i bought an "OEM" late model toyota rear view mirror that has the hidden monitor inside it for a backup cam... never got around to it. for the price you paid, cant beat this setup.

Back