• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What year ZJ had the A/C compressor mounted drivers side?

cherokeeproject

NAXJA Forum User
So I've done a search and looked but can't find an answer. I know the grand cherokee's with the 4.0 had 2 different mounting locations for the A/C compressor. One was the drivers side lower, the other was passenger side upper. I'm looking to add a compressor for on board air and want to keep my A/C and current configuration (my compressor is mounted passenger side) Does anyone know which models of the grands came equipped with the compressor mounted on the drivers side?

You sure your not confusing year to year differences with right hand drive vs left .... The only 2 locations for the ZJ I have seen were a low and high mount, both on the right (pass) side. All ZJ I have seen had steering stuff on the left (driver) side.. BUT I have not seen under the Hood of a Right hand drive rig.

AFAIK, no ZJ's ever came with a D/S mounted A/C compressor. I have a 1994 4.0 and 1998 5.9 (which covers early and late ZJ's), and both have the compressor on top on the passenger side.

EDIT: Nevermind, 5.9 has it on the D/S of the motor.

The WJ used a Driver's side compressor. The block is different from ours so... In order to go that route, the engine would need to be replaced and custom made A/C line would need to be fabricated by a specialty shop.

http://www.wjjeeps.com/engine.htm

Dang, I must have gotten them confused. That's probably why I couldn't find anything in my search. Looks like I'll need to fabricate something either way to fit the second compressor to my motor. I'd rather bolt something together just for simplicity, anyone have any suggestions?

What year is your XJ? There were two different belt routings over the years. 95 down and 96 up.

In either case, without adding another idler or significantly modifying the routing there isn't going to be enough belt wrap on a driver side compressor pulley, and it might end up needing a smooth pulley instead of a grooved one.

In either case, without adding another idler or significantly modifying the routing there isn't going to be enough belt wrap on a driver side compressor pulley, and it might end up needing a smooth pulley instead of a grooved one.

I agree that the easiest way to put it on the driver's side would be with a smooth pulley and replace the idler pulley.

I disagree that there would not be enough belt wrap... The Sanden compressors are rated to an excess of 1000 PSI (I read 1600 somewhere but can't find it...). At those high-PSI levels then yes, you need close to 75% pulley coverage. My current double Sanden setup gives me about half coverage on my air Sanden and less than half on my AC Sanden, neither make so much as a peep while under load. If you're running your system at 150 PSI or less I believe you can do that with minimal belt wrap.

I agree that the easiest way to put it on the driver's side would be with a smooth pulley and replace the idler pulley.

I disagree that there would not be enough belt wrap... The Sanden compressors are rated to an excess of 1000 PSI (I read 1600 somewhere but can't find it...). At those high-PSI levels then yes, you need close to 75% pulley coverage. My current double Sanden setup gives me about half coverage on my air Sanden and less than half on my AC Sanden, neither make so much as a peep while under load. If you're running your system at 150 PSI or less I believe you can do that with minimal belt wrap.

Makes sense. I'm no expert, I was making a ballpark guess based off how much wrap the compressor has in the stock position. You clearly know a hell of a lot more about that kind of thing than I do, so thank you for correcting me.

Back