• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1999 XJ Axle Seal

i973eat1

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1999 XJ with a Dana 30 High Pinion, I replaced the U-joints, now the Axle seal (drivers side) is bad. I was wondering how hard it was to replace the axle seal, and what the part # for it is.

Thanks Everyone!

If things aren't rusted its not too hard. Pull the diff cover, and then pull the axle/hub assembly (no need to undo the large axle nut, just the 3 13mm 12 pt on each side), then pull the carrier. When pulling the carrier just make sure to put the bearings and caps in exactly the same orientation as they currently are when you reinstall. The seal will be right there, pull it out and then use a large socket and very long extension to pound the new seal in from the opposite side. Probably take about 1.5 hours if you are handy and 3 if you arent.

give it a few days for the tube to drain... likely the seal is ok, and what you are seeing is overflow while the axle shaft was out.

then use a large socket and very long extension to pound the new seal in from the opposite side. Probably take about 1.5 hours if you are handy and 3 if you arent.

after trying this method and mangling a couple seals i came up with a design to pull the seal into place.
get a long piece of all-thread long enough to go from the center of the diff housing and sticking out several inches into the knuckle.
make a plate with a hole for the all-thread that is wide enough to cross the outer end of the axle tube and on the other end make a round plate that will cover the seal to draw it into place and small enough to fit into that end of the tube.
put 2 nuts locked together on the end inside the diff and put a nut on the knuckle end, tighten it with a wrench and draw the seal into place. the lock-nuts on the other end are needed so they dont loosen when you are pulling it in.
i made one years ago and it's still hanging on the side of my tool box.

if the oil doesnt stop leaking in a couple days you probably do need to replace the seal. if so, do both seals while you have it apart and clean the tubes out really well.

OTC makes a seal driver that does this from the center housing. Basic- two seal drivers with a threaded rod and long nut that expands to push in the seals at the same time.

Do you happen to have the part number for the OTC seal press tool you mentioned? I have been looking at getting one of these ( http://www.yukongear.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=5403) from Yukon gear but would rather not spend $100. I know you can make them, but by the time I gather all the parts, drill this, weld that, etc. I may as well buy the correct tool for the job. Just my opinion, and I know there are many people who have probably had great success with making their own. Thanks

Thanks everyone! I have already had the axles out when I replaced the u-joints, then I had a leak in the seal... sucks that I have to pull it back apart so soon.

Back