• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check Engine Code 1698...

iwannadie

NAXJA Forum User
97, auto, 4.0, 4x4

I drove the XJ to work the other day and with no problems no CEL then I started it up to leave work and the CEL came on. I have an ultra gauge plugged in and it told me the code was 1698(confirmed with scan tool and cleared). I looked a little bit here and other places and it doesn't really seem to narrow down the cause of the code much.

I have no symptoms of anything wrong, she started up and drove just fine with no trouble shifting or gauges acting funny(did the gauge test also and they are all functioning). The only thing I've noticed(and seen mentioned as a possible cause) is the clockspring. With my wheel turned the horn doesn't work I just noticed recently and wondering if that can cause a code 1698 some how?

I plan to check the ground points under the fuse box and clean them up and unplugging the TCM and see if the cod goes away. Just really odd it popped up and then I get no symptoms of anything odd(other than the clockspring). Anyone had this code, suggestions of where to look or check? :repair:

A faulty clock spring would be a logical possibility for a P1698 if it is short circuiting 12 volts to the CCD Bus. Repair or replace it and advise us of the results.

P1698 Jeep - ECM Fault No CCD Message From TCM

Possible causes

- Engine Control Module (ECM) wire harness is open or shorted
- Engine Control Module (ECM) circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)

Back