• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aw4 still leaking

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everybody
Well about a month ago I bit the bullet and went ahead and replaced the front pump seal, put in a speedi sleeve on my tc and replaced the tc seal. I've had a leak there for a few years and on the last wheeling trip it got really bad coming home. Well to my dismay it doesn't look like I resolved the issue. The install went well but I'm still getting some drips when I park it. I don't mind a couple drips from a 20 year old vehicle but when it leaks to the point of pouring onto the exhaust it's an issue.
I didn't out a gasket on the oil pan but just a layer of rtv. It almost looks like the leak is starting infront of the pan and running down to the lowest bolt on the flex plate. I'm hoping it's a leaking pan but is there any other seal that would cause a leak here. I stuck my finger up inside the bell housing and that felt dry but no guarantees there

Best advice at the moment? Clean thoroly (you want to get everything down to NOTHING ON IT,) drive it for about ten minutes, then take some decent pictures. Not only will that give us a better idea of what's going on, but will help jog memories of how everything is arranged, and sort out potential leaks.

I am given to assume you noted no abnormalities when you changed the front pump ring &c? No gouges or scratches, or other defect? Everything nice & clean?

(I got your PM before I saw this - so consider this your answer for the moment, unless you think of anything you'd like to add.)

Well given the fact ATF is red not black and has a distictively different smell tha oil it should be easy to tell if you're leaking oil or atf ... if oil it could be the pan gasket...rear main seal...or valve cover gasket like mentioned clean everything fresh but also look from the highest point valve cover down since things leak down not up unless spraying out .

Found out last night it's the same leak. Stuck my fingers up inside the bell housing behind the flex plate and they came out red.

Is this bushing inside the tc or the front pump itself?

Are the bushings in the front pump replaceable?
I think I remember seeing this bushing but If memory serves correctly it didn't look like it could be removed?
I see napa sells this bushing but is it worth buying if I can't replace it? Should I be looking for an entire new front pump instead?

Are the bushings in the front pump replaceable?
I think I remember seeing this bushing but If memory serves correctly it didn't look like it could be removed?
I see napa sells this bushing but is it worth buying if I can't replace it? Should I be looking for an entire new front pump instead?

There's only a few hours left in the day before it's Wednesday .:banghead:

I appreciate the helpful response

I ask because I've searched for hours and see plenty of responses saying replace the front bushing and not one person saying they have actually done it

What year AW4?

I don't see a part number for it in the factory parts catalog, so they don't consider it a serviceable part, but I'm sure aftermarket trans rebuild parts suppliers do.

edit: rockauto lists a Parts Authority K97000 bushing kit for the AW4. Appears to have a half dozen different bushings in it, hopefully one of them is the input one. The only other listing is for a 30RH/31RH/32RH which won't do you any good. The Parts Authority kit is just under 20 bucks so might as well try it.

I found one fairly quickly by just searching on napa online.

Now if I could find a write up or anybody at all saying yea I've actually done it I'll consider dropping the trans again

IPT Performance has some great videos on the bushing replacement as well as a rebuild. Search A340 REBUILD on YouTube.

Back