• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tie Rod/Drag link rubbing on sway bar bracket

spinaldex

NAXJA Forum User
So, I lifted my XJ ~2" and my drag link is touching the bracket for the JKS sway bars to slide in when I turn fully to the right.

The pitman arm I had in this thing came from the previous owner so I have no idea what it is. I measured it as best I could and it looks like its roughly 3" drop height from top eye to bottom.

I'm guessing that I could correct the drag link rubbing issue with a longer pitman arm, but:

1. I don't know if I can get a longer one
2. I'm wondering if that will cause any other steering problems

Right now, I would really like to avoid spending $350 on an over the knuckle setup.

I'm wondering if you can think of any options for me? Would it be safe to just get a taller pitman arm, and if so, do you know where I could find one for my situation?

Thanks everyone!

how bad is the rubbing? does it prevent it from steering to full lock?

I've only experienced this on lifted XJs. Due to the lift, the inverse y becomes more pronounced.

The point of contact I have experienced is the drag link/ tie rod connection point to the pass side sway bar mount. It generally doesn't cause problems on the street, but rather when flexed a bit and when turned passenger.
The bind then occurred when bringing the steering back to straight.

The older cast brackets were a smooth arc. The new stamped brackets have a square edge at the front and that is the point of contact. If you cut off about 3/8" of so of that tip the joint can get by.

-Ron

Trim it. A dropped pitman arm is going to be more trouble than it's worth with stock everything else. You have to keep the trackbar/drag link on the same "plane" to prevent bumpsteer. I'm at 5" lift and still running stock pitman arm.

Mark

Sorry, I should have clarified, i lifted 2" more, so I'm at 6.5" of total lift. The angle on the drag link is pretty severe and I don't like the way it looks since it bows the split tie rod up quite a bit. That's why I'm considering a drop pitman arm.

Sorry, I should have clarified, i lifted 2" more, so I'm at 6.5" of total lift. The angle on the drag link is pretty severe and I don't like the way it looks since it bows the split tie rod up quite a bit. That's why I'm considering a drop pitman arm.

You are pushing or exceeding the limits of the stock steering at 6.5" of lift. It might be time to consider OTK/raised track bar steering or a Currie setup, either of which will handle the high angles better.
Currie's steering is bent so it will clear the sway bar brackets in many applications.

A dropped pitman arm is a band-aid that is going to give you bumpsteer in return for a slight improvement in the TRE angle and it isn't going to reduce the angle enough improvement to cure the problem.
There are a lot of advantages to keeping a lift as possible.

Done. I'll get an OTK setup. Pretty easy decision since most reputable shops are charging $150 for 3"+ pitman arm and $350 for a steering setup. Might as well do it right.

Thanks everyone!

Back