• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Figuring out the shocks on my 8.8 swap

Boudroux

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
First I want to say thank you to JeeperJohn for the input on the gear patterns, I truly appreciate it and hopefully I can meet you in Big Bear in a couple weeks to shake your hand.

So my axle is all buttoned up and I've put a couple hundred miles on it so far, nice and quiet and all seems well there.

Pre swap the rig was on a D35 with a 3.5 RE lift with a full RE leaf pack, stock lower mounts and OME shocks and rode awesome.

I used a Ruff Stuff swap kit and welded the lower shock mounts on the axle tube a hair below the center line that is parallel with the ground. They inboard from the spring perches around 1.5 inches. The OME shocks are now about 1.25 inches from fully collapsed.

With my rig sitting on her own weight on flat ground the mount to mount distance is right about 14 inches with the new lower mounts.

I was hoping to get some Bilstein 5100's but the closest thing I can find that would work are 12 inches collapsed and 18.5 extended. I've looked at procomp and others and can't seem to find a shock that would work with how I set my lower shock mount. 2 inches of uptravel room doesn't seem like it will cut the mustard on the 5100. I found a Rancho shock that is 11.375 collapsed and 18.5 extended which still doesn't seem like it will work very well.

Am I missing something here? I wonder if I should have put the mounts in a different spot or got a different kind of mount all together.

Any input would be much appreciated.

The only way to truly get the shocks you need is to flex it out fully and measure with no shocks attached. There are bilsteins that will fit you just need to have measurements to go by.

Personal experience I measured and called up doetsch. Got 4 great riding shocks that fit right for 120$ shipped. They are not bilsteins but they have rocked thus far. And if I tear them up in the rocks they are cheap enough to easily replace.

The only way to truly get the shocks you need is to flex it out fully and measure with no shocks attached. There are bilsteins that will fit you just need to have measurements to go by.

Personal experience I measured and called up doetsch. Got 4 great riding shocks that fit right for 120$ shipped. They are not bilsteins but they have rocked thus far. And if I tear them up in the rocks they are cheap enough to easily replace.

We had her flexed out as much as she would go on my buddies forklift and I took measurements. Even with doing that I'm still not sure I can make the shock mounts work where I have them. I'm sitting at 14" and if the shortest shock bottoms out at 11.5 inches it won't work.

I have a bunch of trailer hitch stock and am going to have to figure something out and hopefully re mount the OME shocks I already have.

Thank you

Draw it out on a peice of paper, draw the shocks extended, compressed, and at desired ride position, and mark down what lengths you need... Go look at what's available in the price range you want, then adjust your mounts to work.

Despite what some say , you can't and shouldn't just raise your lower shock mounts for clearance, you need that length .

Shock figment, bumpstops positioning and when need be, limit strapping is more important than many think. Don't redesign stuff you don't at least MOSTLY understand.

jeepspeedshockhoops.jpg

313852_517646292784_226300669_296974_1120286395_n.jpg

Everything is being welded up on my 8.8 as we speak, and this is probably the route I'm going to go.

There is certainly a way to do it. LOL

First thank you all for the replies, I appreciate it.

So yesterday I got back out to play with my shock scenario. Originally when I tried to flex it out and measure with my buddies forklift I had him lift the rear tire until my front coils unseated and things looked like they were not going to go any further. The measurements I got from that were different than what I got yesterday.

Yesterday I found a little berm and drove the front up until the rig was basically rocking back and forth on two tires, then backed up a tiny bit. This got me much different and what I think are more realistic numbers.

The rig sits at 15" ride height. Full compression is 10.5" and full extension is 18". Bilstein didn't have something that I could find but Pro Comp did. Fully extended the shock is 18.5" and fully compressed it is 10.5". I'm going to have to adjust my bumpstop some but they should work.

Thanks again.

I have raised shock mounts on my 8.25. I am running stock length shocks, which bilstein should have. Actually, I know for a fact that bilstein makes stock replacement shocks. Maybe not 5100's anymore but the 4600 yellows should still be in existance.
Yes, travel is limited more, but beats bottoming out/damaging shocks. A JKS mount might help a bit. Otherwise, through the floor.

Last edited:
Back