• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering shudder at low speed

DaveD912

NAXJA Forum User
Lately my XJ feels like it is in 4wd when I turn tight corners at low speed. My linkage had some play in it and the rubber boots had burst over the winter so that has been replaced. After some searching, I think it may be a front axle u-joint. Is there a definitive test I can do to be certain? I know it will be asked, so yes - I am certain it is in 2wd.

'99 XJ, 231 t-case, 2" BB lift on 31s (tires are just over a year old and have about 10k miles on them)

I took a close look at the u-joints and they don't have any play. Is it possible that the power steering is the issue? I did hear something (belt related) squealing on the ride to work this morning. I think it has the original power steering pump. The lines, however, were replaced a couple years ago when they rusted out.

Bad u-joint don't always LOOK bad. Lift thje wheels, turn the steering wheel to lock, spin the tires. if it turns smoothly joints are good if you feel resitance or it catches the joint is bad.
Yes loose linkage or bad pump and steering box could also contribute or have similar symtoms. But U-joints is the most likely, based on your description of the issue.

check the belt tension and the quality of the belt. red rusty dust on the joints will indicate a dry wearing joint even before it is loose enough to feel and movement.

Bad axle u-joints FTW

Drove around a bit more. Now I'd describe the feeling as the steering wheel fighting to get back to center. However, it only happens while turning the wheel. If I hold the wheel steady (drive in a circle), I don't get the feeling. I have spun the wheels by hand at full lock and there is no resistance, binding, clicking, etc. Thanks for all the input so far.

Back