• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

spooling noise on all 97+

MountainRhino

NAXJA Forum User
although i like to imagine i have a boosted 2001, i have always hated the winding / spooling noise on 97+ xj's. what is it and is it possible to make it not do that? this is my 4th XJ but all the others were older. i know its nothing wrong with it, its just the way they come. but i'd like it to go.

What spooling noise?

Power steering pump maybe? Can you post a video?

What spooling noise?

Power steering pump maybe? Can you post a video?

+1

Never heard a spooling noise. You might have air in the power steering system or a idler pulley going bad.

With the engine OFF. Check the mechanical fan clearance at all around the radiator
fan shroud. You should be able to at least get your fingers between them.

As our cars age, the engine mounts will slowly go south and the engine itself will lower, as well as drift forward. This reduces the fan-to-shroud clearance. As you accelerate,
the engine will torque over (= bad driver's side engine mount), and the fan tips will
contact and scrape against the fan shroud (usually at the bottom, near to the alternator;
and/or at the inside top of the fan shroud). Together, with the viscous fan clutch, a
howling-spooling noise will ensue during acceleration. This noise will then disappear
once you achieve a stable speed.

The cure: Install new engine mounts. Check the transmission mount, too.

More info will definitely help locate the problem. I have a 98 and mine makes a spooling sound when the e fan kicks on with the ac/defrost going. Is yours happening randomly, under acceleration?

I have a whining noise that comes from my power steering, and the pulley for the pump feels kind of loose so maybe its on its way out

I've had a clutch fan not dis-engage when cold. Each morning when I left the house it sounded like a jet fighter powering up with the brakes on.

Swapped clutches and the. The noise was history.

-Ron

its not a friction thing. EVERY single newer xj i have ever driven, in the years of detailing and servicing customers vehicles, seems to have made this unique sound. I will try to find a way to record it. i figured it was just the way they are. hoped to eliminate it. its not power steering. steering plays no part in the sound. i thought it may be the electric fan, or the way the intake sings. i dont know how to better describe it since they all do it. kind of a high pitched sound. it increases with acceleration. nothing that sounds broken, damaged, or old. WB9YZU, that would be the best way to describe the effect, I just find it hard to believe the ALL do it. I will check the clutch when I get home.
and although I think it could use some rotation driveline components, the sound comes from the very front of the XJ.

I will let you know my findings, thank you everyone

as far as motor mounts...the guy that owns brown dog served with my father in the 60's. after recently finding this out, he helped my bro with a *free* complete brown dog mount system. I just hope I can somehow acquire one too.

Can you share a video of this whining? My '99 with clattering 4.0L, possibly original power steering fluid, manual transmission, A/C, and a killer vacuum leak doesn't make any sound close to your description.

Front or rear? I've hear that the 8.25 is known to make quiet spooling noise and most 97+ had them. I know mine does just barely audible. I've checked it out and it's all good, just makes this noise lol

Timing chain? I don't remember exactly when they changed it, but maybe the newer ones makes some noise. I remember a buddy who put a gear drive in place of his timing chain on a Dodge LA block and it sounded just like a super charger.

Some make some transmission pump noise, kind of a whine that changes pitch while accelerating.

I think 8Mud may be on to something. When I first got my (used) '98 XJ, it used to whine (...or spool) during acceleration. It actually sounded like a turbine engine, or
a supercharger. It sounded kind of cool, but I knew it wasn't right. I finally tracked
it down to the AW4 transmission. I drained the fluid, dropped the pan, and
changed the transmission filter. The screen inside the old filter had a layer of
grit collected on it and I am certain that it was slowing down the flow of fluid
and starving the transmission pump.

After putting in the new filter and fluid, the sound promptly went away.

My 99 makes nothing that sounds anything close to what you describe, well except a little when the fans kick in.

My 98 does the same thing. It's only at the top end of aceleration and disappears when it shifts to the next gear. It sounds like its coming from the intake and I've always thought it was my throttle body spacer that made the sound. My tranny has been serviced and the sound has always stayed.

Back