• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

control arm bushings question

Qban

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I bought some used lower control arms a while back. I was told that they were believed to be skyjacker and have some beat up red bushings in them. They are also the radiused/slight bend in them. I thought all the skyjacker control arms were straight, but I did see a few pictures of their kits that appeared to have radiused arms included.

Does anyone know if there is a non-skyjacker brand regular rubber bushing that will fit these? Maybe even a part number that I can get at napa or something?

I know its pretty vague info, but I've had no luck thus far searching online for more info.

Thanks

Most of that stuff used off the shelf bushings from Energy Suspension.

Take some measurements and compare to the catolog:

http://energysuspension.com/assets/files/energysuspension-catalog.pdf

That said, those style arms are more or less junk, and not worth the time and effort.

With no flex joint at one end and a rigid arm, when you articulate all of the stress gets put into your control arm mounts, which will eventually tear off of the axle and or car.

The OEM arms are a "C" channel that will twist to accomodate for that.

Find yourself some aftermarket arms with a flex joint at one end or the other.

Thanks for saying what I needed to hear. I think it's time I go the RE dropbracket and short-arm flex route

I'm a big fan of that setup for most people. Easy, inexpensive, and rides really well.

Before you toss the arms in the trash, lop off one of the ends with the trashed bushing and take measurements. You might be able to use a heim or some other joint by just welding in a bushing insert. I turned some old Rusty's fixed uppers into a heim'd adjustable set that way.

;)

^^^^directed at rusty's products in general, and not deftwill...

Last edited:
With no flex joint at one end and a rigid arm, when you articulate all of the stress gets put into your control arm mounts, which will eventually tear off of the axle and or car.

Find yourself some aftermarket arms with a flex joint at one end or the other.

Why would they cause the mounts to break? Is it because of the poly urethane bushings? I have a set of Rusty's LCA's with what look like OEM rubber bushings at both ends. Would this also be a problem? They are made with some heavy gage round tube. Diameter I do not remember.

Why would they cause the mounts to break? Is it because of the poly urethane bushings? I have a set of Rusty's LCA's with what look like OEM rubber bushings at both ends. Would this also be a problem? They are made with some heavy gage round tube. Diameter I do not remember.

its the poly bushings. they dont deflect.

rubber does.

It can be but the poly bushings are a bigger problem.

On the OEM control arms, the bushings don't deflect very much at all, the entire arm twists. When you take that away, the stress has to go somewhere...

It can be but the poly bushings are a bigger problem.

On the OEM control arms, the bushings don't deflect very much at all, the entire arm twists. When you take that away, the stress has to go somewhere...

OK. I see.

Since I do not do hard core wheeling the possibilities of that happening should be reduced. I have the JKS adjustable UCA's on the XJ. I should have sprung for the LCA's as well.

Back