• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

keep bending outer lip of steel wheels

OutkastBoss

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I dd and run my rig 3 or 4 times a year in the rocks on medium trails.
It is on 33/10.50/15r tires with Cragar D windows balanced by HD offroad balancing beads. I have had a few instances of the outer lip catching and bending but after last time out at Winterfest, I have 3 out of 4 rims that did it and one is pretty bad.

I ordered a "dogbone" steel rim repair wrench to bend them back the right way but I do no want to have to keep repeatedly using it. Especially when I have to pop the bead for all the ones that bend inward.
(I have a manual tire changer)
So that leaves me with trying to figure out how not to bend them in the first place. So I am thinking Rock rings Vs. beadlocks Vs. forged alum rims.

Rock rings are cheap and should keep the lip from bending, but for not much more I could do beadlocks.

Idk If I need bead locks since I have never popped a bead. We ran 12 psi in Moab and had one minor lip bend. We upped it to 15 at Winterfest to hopefully be safer and in those chunky rocks bent 3 out of 4.

Forged Alum. would be awesome but finding an affordable option looks to be a hard find.

All I know is I want to be able to wheel and have straight wheels when I'm done for my DD duties. What would you guys do?

Rock rings will keep them from bending. I've bent the rims on mine so bad they wouldn't hold air. Even after I added Inner Airlocks I still damaged a couple of rims. I got my rings from DIY bead locks.

I have the same thing going on right now. I don't DD my rig, and haven't for some time. I do enjoy driving it on the street on the weekends sometimes, and on occasion driving it to an ORV park instead of towing. I have bent one of my wheels really bad on this last trip out. I am about to replace all four anyways since I need a different offset. I was planning on doing the rock rings on the new wheels from TMI. They seem to have a good price, and I like quite a few of their designs. I wheel quite a few times a year but didn't want to drop the coin just yet on aluminum beadlocks.

these are copperhead fab rock rings, price isn't bad, quality is ok...shipping took forever, but I was bending the wheels all the time and it got really old. Dismounting, heating them up hammering them back to shape sucks, so they do the trick....

JEEP044_zps3a1717d9.jpg

I believe that DBO sells rock rings.

I bashed the hell out of my aluminum Mickey Thompson streetlock wheels for a few years, scarred the lips all up and they always held air and were balanced enough to drive on the street. I think the fake beadlock rings helped a lot too. People were constantly 'informing me' how bashed up my wheels were haha.

Back