• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange RPM surging issue with BWD made TPS?

NXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Strange story:

My OEM/old (defect) TPS makes the vehicle ('96 4.0) idle @ 950, but result in excessive RPM tranny shifts. I have now tried two (2) identical BWD sensors from O'Reilley's, and they both do the same: With the sensor connected, but unscrewed from the TB, the motor idles @ 950 RPMs. However, the second you insert the 'rotating wheel' of the sensor housing into the butterfly shaft, the RPM surges to +/- 1900 RPMs and stays there.

It actually seems the wheel inside the sensor is sensitive to inward motion as well as rotation, i.e. the motor will rev somewhat when I push in on it with my thumb.

Suggestions? Are these sensors flawed?

After being out another $120 for a Mopar sensor, I was having the exact same problem. I had unhooked the battery when messing with the BWD sensors with the intent to reset the brain. Well, after unplugging all three harness connectors to the ECU it now idles and shifts normal (aside from some jerking in 1st, but pretty sure that's a fluid level issue). I guess the ECU had adapted to the defect TPS and was compensating for the values to make it more driveable, which threw off the new sensor(s)?

Touché, Bryan. But I'm pretty sure the BWD unit (being Borg Warner and made in USA) would do the same after a reset.

As far as I can tell, BWD was spun off from Borg Warner some time ago (a year or so?) and is now a part of Standard Motor Products (SMP).

I have tried without much success to track this down on the 'net several times in the past months to confirm and would like to hear from someone who knows for sure what went on.

Like NXJ I assumed BWD being a Borg Warner company would produce quality stuff but I've been disappointed with a couple of their sensors.

Back