• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1995 4.0l cherokee emissions HC idle fail

hansshanks

NAXJA Forum User
Had to run my sons 95 Cherokee 4.0 through the emissions tester today here in Boise Idaho. It failed one category at idle..

test results...

2500 rpm test standard test report

O2: 1.0

CO(%) (less than or equal) 1.20 0.63 pass

HC(PPM):(less than or equal) 220 212 pass

Dilution CO+CO2(%): 6.0 14.43

RPM: 2500+/- 500 2381

Idle test standard test report

O2: 3.5

CO(%) (less than or equal) 1.20 0.64 pass

HC(PPM):(less than or equal) 220 422 fail

Dilution CO+CO2(%): 6.0 12.73

RPM: 775+/- 425 726

After failing, I went home and threw in the set of autolite platinum plugs I had previously purchased since I already had them. put a half can of seafoam threw the brake booster hose since I was already under the hood.. then went and drove it for a half hour and went and retested and the failed HC went down from 422 to 419.

Now that I think about it. My sons jeep does physically have a cat under it. but the cat is hollow because it blew its guts into the muffler last spring. So at the time I didn't spend the money on a new cat. just put a new muffler under it. It also sounds like it has a exhaust leak some where. haven't had a chance to dig into it further yet. It runs good and stays cool. I also have a set of neon injectors that I had intended to swap into it.

Any suggestions to address the issue.

you have a hollowed out cat, didnt pass emissions, and youre looking for suggestions on what to do? Forget replacing that cat, you just need a new distributor cap

Back