• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Move front axle to clear tires?

evguy1

NAXJA Forum User
Just bought a 2000 XJ (first post) and want to go a bit bigger tires with only a small lift.
I have searched the forum but cant find the answer I'm looking for.
If I go with adjustable upper and lower control arms can I adjust the front axle about 1" forward to add tire clearance to the wheel wells?
I will build a new front bumper so going forward would not be a problem for clearance.

As long as the arms will adjust far enough safely, yes.

So is one supplier better than the others?
Separate upper and lowers or a single one piece long arm?
I'm not after the ultimate trail rig just a DD with the ability to do some mild mountain trails.
Wish 31 X 11.50 was a more common tire but might go 32X 11.50 BFG's on 8" wheels and 4" BS.
Don't want to trim fenders, keep stock flares and no more than 2" lift, wife has short legs. ;>)

31x10.50R15 is a common size. For 2" lift, 31's are going to be close. As long as you bumpstop accordingly, should be fine leaving the fender flares. There are a couple write-ups about trimming fenders and relocating flares.

Issue you might run into is the shock angle, move the axle too far forward, shock is at a steep angle, plus caster at pinion angles become an issue. You get less than an inch forward, based on my experience

In an early configuration, my 2001 XJ was on 31"s, with a 2-1/2" lift and stock control arms. The front axle remained in the stock position.
To clear, the flares had to be moved up and some sheet metal trimmed.
In the front, the fender liners needed to be removed and the pinch seam pounded flat, where the tire would hit on full compression.
The bumpstops were increase about inch and the same size spacers added to the shocks mounts to regain the lost travel.

The taller tires hit the lower control arms, when turning sharply. A set of 1-1/4" wheel spacers to cured this but then required more trimming on the flares.
Seems like every time you change one thing, three other things need to be adjusted.
Eventually, just about every part in the front end was upgraded but I ran it with mostly stock parts for about a year before getting incurable inchitis.
It's a terminal disease.

Its been a while since I updated this thread and a LOT has happed since.
The Jeep is now finished and back on the road.
I totally stipped it to the shell and rebuilt it from there and then added a VW TDI diesel.

Here is a short video of the finished XJ. https://youtu.be/1tFCPEKhhfw

on short arms, the axle travels in a pretty extreme arc.

id check where the axle lands at full compression, and that you are bump stopped accordingly for your tire size. 2" or 20" of lift... bump stops for a given tire size will always be similar in order to keep them out of the wheel wells.

if your shocks, coils, swaybar, track bar, and steering let you move the axle forward at full bump, you *should* be ok through the rest of the range of motion.

Back