• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hitch Mount Tire carrier

poppyseed

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone ever used one of these? looks like it could be a cheaper alternative to a full rear bumper with built in tire swing. I had to hoist my 31inch spare up to my roofrack today in the rain, decided its time to look for other mounting options lol

00e0e_iZM0NnKOf7l_600x450.jpg

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pts/4408030556.html

a 31 will fit into the stock mounting location if you remove the pedestal from the floor.

There are a couple of minor additions to this. Depending on wheel, you will need to extend the stock j-bolt. If not, make an adapter bracket to raise/extend the bolt. I can take a pic of the one I use. If you want.

There are a couple of minor additions to this. Depending on wheel, you will need to extend the stock j-bolt. If not, make an adapter bracket to raise/extend the bolt. I can take a pic of the one I use. If you want.

why? there are two mounting holes for the rod, and the rod can be flipped so that the bend makes it land higher or lower. you also dont have to use the center bore of the wheel, i used a lug hole. lastly, i never found a need to extend it, flipping the tire around always worked fine for me.

why? there are two mounting holes for the rod, and the rod can be flipped so that the bend makes it land higher or lower. you also dont have to use the center bore of the wheel, i used a lug hole. lastly, i never found a need to extend it, flipping the tire around always worked fine for me.

Exactly what i did with mine, spun the wheel around and went through one of the lug holes. Been that way for years...

Anyone ever used one of these? looks like it could be a cheaper alternative to a full rear bumper with built in tire swing. I had to hoist my 31inch spare up to my roofrack today in the rain, decide

A tire carrier that is supported by just the 2" receiver is going to rock around in the receiver unless it is secured some way.
Your 31' spare should fit in the stock spot. With a few mods, a 33" tire can fit.
Using Go Jeep's seat back relocation brackets (a must!), a 10.50 X 33 X 15 BFG KO, on a 8 X 15 rim fits fine.

Had to massage the wheel well a little, easy with a 5-lb hammer.
This is the best picture I have.

A tire carrier that is supported by just the 2" receiver is going to rock around in the receiver unless it is secured some way.
I agree kind of a hokey way to mount a spare (up there with those hitch mounted cargo carriers) however you could drill a hole forward of the hitch pin, weld in a nut and use a bolt to take out all of the typical slack and rattles of any receiver mounted accessory (ball mount, pintle hitch, bike rack.....)
I've modified all of my receivers that way (3 vehicles).....makes a cheap theft deterrent too!
Hans

thanks for all the info guys, i dont wanna store it in the stock location as I hate how much space it takes up, I guess ill just save for a real bumper/tire swing

one thing that i have not seen mentioned is that they hitch setup kills your departure angle... if you are going any place tricky you will drag it everywhere...

You might have a look here I have had mine for a year and very pleased with it.

roxolidtrailarmor.com

Back