• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wheres this little guy go ona 2000?

MrAnderson

NAXJA Forum User
2000 4.0

post motor swap i found this lil guy just "hanging out"
heres a backed off shot too
looks to me like a ground of sorts and its coming out of a y(in the bottom pic, said y is right next to my trans dipstick) that comes off the big cluster that runs along the rear of the firewall. anyways, i swung it over to this nearby nut and attached it but im just wondering where it may actually GO :eyes:

thanks

That sure looks like the ground for the dash instrument cluster.

The factory attached it to the stud that secures the oil dipstick tube to the engine block.

While you're there: When those wires are attached to the oil dipstick stud, the wires
will be a little taught and under a bit of tension as the length of the wires are only just
good enough to reach the stud.

After a few years of engine vibration and torque from acceleration and braking, and
bumping into those wires during oil filter changes or spark plug changes, those wires
will slowly weaken and fray. The result is that the tach and speedo needles will jump
and flicker about (leading you on a wild goose chase), and/or they will drop dead.

The preventative solution: Cut off the connector eye, and then splice on a ~4" pigtail
extension wire onto those ground wires. Attach a new connector eye onto the other end
of the new wire extension, and then attach that to the oil dipstick stud.

The extra length of wire will alleviate most of the physical tension at that connection
point.

Back