• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 axle end play?

Oatmeal

NAXJA Forum User
I swapped a factory D44 converted to Explorer discs into my 96 a few years back.
I fabbed the appropriate spacer, in my case .230" thick, to maintain proper bearing preload but, have always thought there was still too much end play.
I've searched several websites and it seems to be a common issue with Jeeps and Scouts as well.
I came across this: http://www.betterscoutparts.com/sit...p://www.betterscoutparts.com/Page_3.html#2812
After e mailing back and forth I ordered a set.
Gotta replace a seal which of course, requires bearing replacement so, I'll finally get rid of that excessive end play. In fact I'm planning on adding about .005" preload.
So anybody plagued with excessive end play, you might want to look into this as well.
Hans

Last edited:
I don't think it is a good idea to preload a D44 axle bearing. The bearing is designed to handle radial loads but not constant axial loads. I think you would see early bearing failure.

I've been conversing with John (the guy that makes/sells the shim kits) and he preloads his (.005" max)......no different than preloading pinion and carrier bearings which require proper (more) preload to live.
Just important t to keep gear lube at correct level to insure proper bearing lubrication.
Hans

Not that much work.....measure end play then add .005" more shim past zero.....I have a dial indicator.
My shafts have way too much end play now so, gotta shim them anyway......could be I have the wrong seal, contributing to the excessive end play.
Hans

Back