• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 xj 4.0 a/t hesitation intake backfire

Xjcrawler14

NAXJA Forum User
Well I'm scratching my head on this one! Hot or cold while driving it hesitates very bad doesn't miss just kinda doesn't have power if u are cruising in over drive and give it more gas to down shift to 3 it will backfire thru the intake as it downshifts. If you Mat the gas it feels like it's holding back n if u just let up a little bit it clears right up n has power at like 3/4 throttle. Here's a list of parts I changed to try n fix this.

CoOlant temp sensor
Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, distributor, camshaft sensor
Fuel filter "checked fuel pressure" good
New battery's
Alt
Checked all grounds

Ive read alot of different furoms with this same issue but
Havent really seen a solution. Idk where else to go other then internally? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you pulled the distributor lately? How old is the engine. A slipped timing chain can cause this but it is rare.

I would do a compression test. Backfire sounds like a burned intake valve or a serious timing problem. Normally distributor indexing doesn't cause backfire, but it can't hurt to ask.

Back