• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 alternators to 1?

95xjwheeler

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone,

I recently bought a 1995 Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0. The guy I bought it from did a lot of wheeling, which is mainly what my intentions are. He has it setup with the stock location alternator down below and make shift bracket for a generic alternator up top. Just yesterday the fan hub bearing on the a/c bracket went so I took everything apart. I have another a/c bracket without the idler pulley but I don't know if I could really use that. My question is how can I get this belt configuration back to one alternator up top and nothing where the old alternator was? I need some ideas and advice on what the best options are. Maybe bypass the fan pulley altogether and go electric? I can post some pics but I didn't get a chance to take a picture before I tore it down. Thanks for any input.
-Marty

So I guess the big question is, do you really need the second alternator? You can put a grand Cherokee alternator in the stock position for higher amperage and put a compressor up top, allowing for on board air and a factory belt routing,

.........You can put a grand Cherokee alternator in the stock position for higher amperage and put a compressor up top, allowing for on board air and a factory belt routing,

Now there is something I didn't know - sweet! How much better is it?

Is there any year/model restriction on this or any 4.0? Thx.

There are some year stipulations, what year are you working with x e rider? I believe the 91-99.5 use a "98 grand Cherokee w/ a 5.2 or 5.9" or part number 13387 which is a 136 amp unit. There is a bigger one.

Here is an excellent writeup on rebuilding denso units: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/rebuilding-nippon-denso-alternator-00-01-56041822aa-835511/ just ignore that it is for a 00-01, all denso units seem to be built the same, the case sized and regulators vary.

I really like the idea of running a grand cherokee alternator. What I ended up doing is keeping the alternator up top(currently a one wire setup) got rid of the stock location alternator and got a fan hub without the idler. I used a 72 inch belt and everything is running well. I got it touch with a guy who has an a/c compressor, fan hub with idler puller and an alternator, so I might end up returning it to stock and doing on board air. I work on big trucks so I have access to all of the air components. For now though I use the Jeep to go to work. The reason the PO had the alternator up top is because he was trashing them in the mud. I have had the xj for a few weeks now, haven't gone in the mud yet because I want to go through a full PM service on it first. Then, I can't wait to hit the trails hard.

If you converted to dual electric fans you can use a YJ accessory bracket and water pump to move the alternator to the top, and the AC compressor to under the power steering pump.

Back