• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vehicle Speed Sensor and Speedometer Adapter Question

kevswens20

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '98 XJ 4.0L, AW4, NP231.

I have searched all over looking for answers with no luck, so now I'll ask.

About a week ago I noticed my speedometer and odometer quit working, and got a P0500 code. Speedometer and odometer will sometimes work, sometimes they wont. Figured my first step would be to change the VSS, bought the part, went to put it on but the bolt holding on the old one is so rusted that it will not come off. :explosion So I figured I would then just get a new speedometer adapter and install the new adapter and then the new VSS. Only problem is I cant find any auto parts stores that sell the speedometer adapter. My next attempt was to go to the junk yard and thus brings me to my question. What years of XJ's with NP231's speedometer adapters work with the NP231 in my 98 XJ? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! :thumbup:

Dead gauges are more then likely just a bad connection on the back of the cluster. Its a known problem that causes gauge failures. Pull the cluster, clean connections, and apply some dielectric grease and see if it still happens.

You mean the tail housing where the rear bearing sits?
My guess would be '96 though '01. Also any year TJ.

-Ron

Dead gauges are more then likely just a bad connection on the back of the cluster. Its a known problem that causes gauge failures. Pull the cluster, clean connections, and apply some dielectric grease and see if it still happens.

Thanks Ron.

I had already pulled the cluster and looked at the connections behind. connections were clean.

The P0500 code means the ECU isn't seeing a speed signal which in turn isn't being fed to the cluster. I'd see if you can get the bolt out for just the sensor itself and replace that.
AW4VehicleSpeedSensor.jpg

Back