• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust brand question

MountainRhino

NAXJA Forum User
I have had 2 XJ's with flowmasters on them, and ran a VERY open cat for a while. I like flowmaster, but I want something different. flowmaster is deep and empty, good for an old truck. no cat makes it sound like a logging truck, and though I like my old '91 beast.......i have a 2001 now. I would like sporty, throaty, MODERN. nothing raspy or hollow, dont want a rice burner sound, though I almost thing there is enough pressure to take a fart can and make it sound somewhat decent until you open the throttle. how does one get the most accurate tone examples? cause we all know youtube does wonders reflecting sound quality.

p.s. was thinking magnaflow

Thanks ahead of time

I have a dmc performance header, a magnaflow muffler, high flow cat and 2.5 inch tube from the header out. My exhaust exits in the stock location. It sound GOOD and I can feel some power gains.

Flowmasters scream "look at me" and get annoying after a while.

I would go with Magnaflow or Dynomax on your Jeep. I have a Dynomax Super-Turbo catback on my 2000 and love it. Easy to install and sounds just a tad bit deeper than stock.

I just installed a Borla Cat-Back on my '01 XJ and it sounds great. A bit rumblly at idle and full-throttle... but not that noticeable at all while cruising down the road or around town. Only noticeable when I want it to be... and even then it's not overly load. My 24 yr old wouldn't like it, but to my 44 year old ears it sounds great. :)

I just installed a Borla Cat-Back on my '01 XJ and it sounds great. A bit rumblly at idle and full-throttle... but not that noticeable at all while cruising down the road or around town. Only noticeable when I want it to be... and even then it's not overly load. My 24 yr old wouldn't like it, but to my 44 year old ears it sounds great. :)

This..
I've had my borla catback on my jeep for 6 almost 7 years and it's great, a little louder than stock with a nice deep tone, just not crazy load like flowmaster. they're 304 stainless so they outlast most any exhaust.

Magnaflow/bullet performance are the top on my list. They make lots of sizes. Dynomax Ultraflow. Pretty much anything with a flow-through/open design will be better than the drone of a chambered muffler. Amazon has them for less than most places.

Well I'm 23 and love my Borla system. Not obnoxious, but you know it's there. Plus it's the only 300 grade stainless system out there. All others are 400 grade, which will rust...300 won't.

Well I'm 23 and love my Borla system. Not obnoxious, but you know it's there. Plus it's the only 300 grade stainless system out there. All others are 400 grade, which will rust...300 won't.

I mentioned that as my 24 yr old son has a Flowmaster Ser. 40 on his 92 XJ and wants more rubble and sound... I on the other hand want it to sounds nice, but not obnoxious. Ha.

I've had Flowmaster, Cherry Bomb, Magnaflow and now Borla... on various vehicles. My 2 favorites BY FAR have been the Magnaflow's I had on my '97 Mustang Cobra and now the Borla on my '01 XJ.

Love the SS that the Borla system is made from and now time will tell if it's as durable and mentioned. :)

Also run the Borla cat-back and have a Magnaflow performance "direct-fit" Cat - I agree here as well - it improved power on my steep grades and sounds good. Everyone will hear it, but it is not obnoxious.

I run the BDS 4.5" lift and had to saw off the offset outlet to prevent any interference when flexing - I have a short straight tip that cannot be snagged on anything now and it works great.

System has been on now for 2 years - Very pleased with it.

Also run the Borla cat-back and have a Magnaflow performance "direct-fit" Cat - I agree here as well - it improved power on my steep grades and sounds good. Everyone will hear it, but it is not obnoxious.

I run the BDS 4.5" lift and had to saw off the offset outlet to prevent any interference when flexing - I have a short straight tip that cannot be snagged on anything now and it works great.

System has been on now for 2 years - Very pleased with it.

Yes.. that was my only complaint, how they made the bend go under the rear leaf spring. I cut that part off and have left it so far

Back