• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D ring strength / Detours Backbone

kcmudbug

NAXJA Forum User
Any of you guys know a lot about strength of steel or recovery gear?
I think I ran into another snag with my Detours Backbone. The hole for the d ring isn't big enough for any of the 3/4" d rings that I've ordered. I have 2 sets with the standard 7/8" cross pin and one set that Mark from detours recommended with a slightly smaller 3/4" cross pin. I'd drill the hole out but there's only about 1/4" of material from the hole to the edge of the metal. To get d rings that will fit, I think I'm going to have to go down to a 5/8" d ring. ARBs have the best rating I can find in that size, and they are
rated at 7k lbs. Most are rated at 6k lbs. The winch that is on it is an M8000 Warn...seems like a bad idea to pull on a 7k lb d ring
with it to me.

So here are my questions...should I be concerned that the holes are so
close to the edge of the d ring mount? Does anyone know where I can
find a 5/8" d ring that is rated close to 10k lbs or at least over 8k lbs? Any other Backbone owners having this same issue?

Don't' know about the D-ring situation, what does the Google say ? Why not use a Dremel tool to open up the holes. Remove all the material from the sides opposite the thinner areas. Or, fill in the existing holes and redrill them where you really want them.

Half in d-rings?

Thanks Jeepingben. That's very helpful and eases my mind. I was confused as the 3/4" d ring seems to be the industry standard for recovery gear. The multiple site's I've read suggest that a 5/8" d ring is more suited for a side by side. Based on that chart, 3/4" is excessive overkill.

I would still like to hear from other backbone owners if they have input about what d rings they are running, and if the holes were big enough to accommodate a 3/4" d ring.

I had a similar issue with the tabs on my old bumper. I used 5/8" d-rings, highest rated I could find. I carried multiple straps so that when I needed to pull I could split the load between two points. I made several pulls that way without any problems.

Last edited:
Ignore that last post. I was having trouble with the links. See below.

You could try these. These are the forged CM shackles with bolt, nut, and cotter pin. These are rated higher than the next size up regular single pin shackles. The 5/8" pin size is rated from 9,000 to 10,000 lbs. These are the type I use. They cost just a little more, but are worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/Bolt-Nut-Anchor-Shackles-anchorshackle/dp/B0037QG1TI

and

http://www.amazon.com/M951-G-Carbon-Shackle-Galvanized-Capacity/dp/B003D7L1L4

and

http://www.dillonsupply.com/default.aspx?page=item+detail&itemcode=03014112

Last edited:
I would still like to hear from other backbone owners....

I have the Tailbone and run 3/4" shackles.

They fit perfectly. Don't know the brand. Bought them at McFadden-Dale.

I have only ever used them to flat tow an off-road race car (about 2000 lbs.) 35-40 MPH on a fire road, no problems.

Back