• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ44 disc swap

clean4drxj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm swapping ZJ brakes onto my 44, where's a good place to purchase the spacers from or is it direct from teraflex?
also what else do I need, I have done a quick search and didn't see much other than "machining" the backing plates.
thanks in advance

Don't know about the spacers but be careful getting the flare fittings from the hardline off the rubber hose. My fittings were rusted to the hard lines and I had to cut and flare the lines with new fittings. Big PITA.

I have newer telfon coated lines on my 44 with antiseize on them so that won't be and issue, the ZJ setup I'm going to use came as just calipars, soft lines, and backing plates all in decent shape.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/52427_0001.htm

Weld the holes closed and re-drill.

Same thing with the ZJ backing plates.

Since the ZJ backing plate bolt pattern isn't too far off once you weld those holes closed you have to redrill through half ZJ backing plate metal and half weld. Needless to say it is a royal PITA. I had to give them to my dad to give to one of the machinist at work to drill through.

Guy put them in a bridgeport, said he needed to heat them up a bunch, and then drill. Said he blew through at least a dozen bits and it took him like an hour or so.

I'm not sure if that's typical, but that's what happened for me.

These.. holds the seal in. Makes up the difference in thickness between the ZJ caliper bracket and the XJ backing plate.

Between the seal and retaining plate.

brngpress3_zps58dc45b8.jpg

I was under the assumption that the spacer on that retainer doubled as the spacer he's talking about.

I was told i didn't need that spacer with that retainer.

Then again look at the seal and the bearing. Maybe that's why a bunch of diff fluid leaked through it. But then again the entire axle housing was ripped and gouged apart. I don't know what caused that.

lxKdRK1.jpg

Yeah, I didn't want to weld and redrill a TJ retainer so I opted for the TeraFlex spacer with the OEM 44 retainer.

I'm assuming the OP was planning the OEM as well..

Thanks for the info!, I'm trying to keep this on a budget and am using the oem 44 retainers. King, what you have there as others have stated is a TJ retainer plate which requires more drilling..

Back