• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cloyes C3041

sgtpeeper

NAXJA Forum User
97 XJ 4.0

I have been debating replacing my timing set since the timing cover is already off and I'm just over 200K miles, but within the 1/2" deflection spec. So I bought the Cloyes C3041. Has anyone used this successfully? It doesn't look as beefy as the original set, especially the chain. It is a similar chain design. The timing mark on the crank sprocket is a joke compared to the original. It's barely readable.

I actually tried to install this for comparison, but the alignment dowel hole on the cam sprocket is not big enough. So, the cam sprocket would not install at all.

I think if and when I have to do this job I'm getting OEM parts.

97 XJ 4.0

I have been debating replacing my timing set since the timing cover is already off and I'm just over 200K miles, but within the 1/2" deflection spec. So I bought the Cloyes C3041. Has anyone used this successfully? It doesn't look as beefy as the original set, especially the chain. It is a similar chain design. The timing mark on the crank sprocket is a joke compared to the original. It's barely readable.

I actually tried to install this for comparison, but the alignment dowel hole on the cam sprocket is not big enough. So, the cam sprocket would not install at all.

I installed a Cloyes double roller kit in a 1997 4.0 last night.
It was a PIA to get installed as the chain was super tight.
I sat the gears inthe chain and established the right relation, having the marks point at each other. Then lifted the assembly up, onto the crank and cam. Feel around until the roll pin, in the cam, touches the hole in the gear.
Then using a brass hammer, start tapping the gear over the roll pin. The roll pin will fit with enough persuasion. When compressed, roll pins roll up, becoming sightly smaller in diameter, so it will fit, just very tightly.
After getting the roll pin to start engaging, I twisted the can gear to get it aligned with the rest of the cam, slowly tapping it on with the brass hammer. It took a bit a fidgeting to get it to slide on but it did, just be patient.
The whole process took less than 20 minutes

Vanimal on this board recently put a cloyes timing set on his stroker and after chasing problems getting it to run right we narrowed it down to timing, after checking everything possible it ended up being the timing set was marked wrong. he called cloyes and they are cutting him a check and were apologetic but still, what I'm getting at is even though it's a well known brand check EVERYTHING before you button it back up.

Thank you for the replies. I did put my original set back on and am returning the Cloyes. I was betting that Cloyes manufactures the OEM set and I'd get it cheaper aftermarket.

"When compressed, roll pins roll up, becoming sightly smaller in diameter, so it will fit, just very tightly."

I thought the FSM referred to this as an alignment dowel, but I may have been mistaken. Now that I look it up as a "roll pin", it makes sense. I thought it was a solid piece of metal.

Feel around until the roll pin, in the cam, touches the hole in the gear.
Then using a brass hammer, start tapping the gear over the roll pin. The roll pin will fit with enough persuasion. When compressed, roll pins roll up, becoming sightly smaller in diameter, so it will fit, just very tightly.
Its not a roll pin, but a dowel pin. Also, tapping on the front of the cam is a bad idea as the cam is resting on the rear cam plug while doing this. Too hard and you will pop out the rear can plug. Then you have to pull the engine.

Line the cam and crank up correctly, clean and oil the dowel and cam and it should slip on with minimal resistance.

Its not a roll pin, but a dowel pin. Also, tapping on the front of the cam is a bad idea as the cam is resting on the rear cam plug while doing this. Too hard and you will pop out the rear can plug. Then you have to pull the engine.

I've seen this happen not once but TWICE. :doh:

Line the cam and crank up correctly, clean and oil the dowel and cam and it should slip on with minimal resistance.

Well, what I saw was a rolled up pin, it wasn't solid. After being in the mechanical biz for 40+ years, I know what a roll pin looks like.
The cam gear would not slide on the pin, even with the chain off. The tapping was very light, not enough to pop the rear plug but just enough to slightly compress the roll pin,
allowing the gear to slide on. It was a tight inference fit with the result being a very tight chain.
Wouldn't be the first time I found a uncommon variation in a Jeep product.
BTW, the engine had previously been worked on the a PO, so I not sure what's stock in it.
Interested in seeing if the Cloyes double-roller chain kit will stay tight longer than the standard kits.
Have not been able to find a double roller kit for the revised 1999-2001 4.0 engine.

Back