• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

good All Terrain tires for the street

MUKAK714

NAXJA Forum User
my XJ is mostly a daily driver, and i do take it out to local canyons on the weekends ( no rock climbing )

i currently have 30" BFG AT tires on a 16x7 Icon rims and looking to upgrade to a 265/75/16 ( 32" ) All Terrains

my question is whats a good A/T tire that will get me better gas mileage than the BFGs?

and also does the weight of the tire affect overall MPGs?

and also if i would to get 33s instead of 32" ( i really want 33s but dont wanna regear ) what would be the diff in MPG? i currently have 4.5 inch lift with 3.55s and get 15-16 average ith worn out 30s BFGs A?T

I recently replaced my worn out 33x10.50 BFG ATs with some Falken Rocky Mouuntain ATs (33x12.50x15) and love them.
They have a mild, almost street tread but work surprising well in mud and rock and great in snow.
Got them through www.discounttiredirect (free shipping and no sales tax) and had them mounted at Wal Mart (lifetime rotation/balancing)......also got the extra hazard coverage that. covers off road damage and 100% replacement.
They have a factory 50,000 mile tread warrenty and are really smooth and quiet on the highway....might check them out.
Hans

I had cooper discoverer All terrains about 3 years ago, great tire for on/offroad, not sure if they come in the size your looking for though, but they were pretty decent price.

Taller, wider, heavier - they all kill gas mileage. Do you need 33s for mild stuff?

Check the tire mfgs website, they usually.list weights.
The diff between skinny 33s, and fatter 32s should be negligable.

You can also run a gear calculator, and see what rpms you will be turning at the speeds you run.

It depends also how heavy your foot is, highway/city, if you like the skinny pedal a lot then it won't matter too much?

Honestly, going above a 30" tire is going to decrease your mileage, especially on stock gears.

Short list of tires to look into..
Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac/Kelly Safari TSR
Falken Wildpeak AT/Rocky Mountain ATS
General Grabber AT2
Yoko Geolander ATS

I upgraded my BFG AT's from 32/11.50 to 33/10.50 and noticed no change in gas mileage or power, oddly enough my speedo is dead on now. I have no experience with other brands as the 32's came with my XJ. I know you said no rock crawling but I feel I should mention the BFG AT's work extremely well in the rocks. Mud not so much but I'm not into mud so they suit me.

For all around tires, BFG KOs have work well for me. Have tried two sets of Revo and returned to the KOs
I see no mention of intentions to regear. Going from 30"s to 32" or 33"s is going to turn your XJ into a dog, especially anytime the road heads uphill. Living in SoCal, just about anywhere we go require climbing over mountain grades. We need lower gears with big tires. Off roading big tires sucks with stock gears, plus it works well to kill the low mileage we already get.

I hated my XJ with 31"s on stock gears, necessitating the 4.11s.
A few years later when changing to 33"s, 4.56s was the logical choice. Bigger diameter tires also significantly reduces braking power, you will certainly notice it, especially at freeway speeds.

When you went to 30's did you change the speedo gear. If not that could be a reason why your milage is off. With taller tires youre actually traveling farther than what the speedo is telling you, thus making milage low per tank and bad fuel milage. It will only get worse with taller tires both through your original speedo gear and through your stock gearing and taller tires. Find a calculator to see what speedo gear you need when you get 32's or 33's, then re do your milage calculations.

Back