• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DIY Bumper pics

when it was built in 09

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=995167

as it sits today with hiddedn winch
bumpa.jpg

http://images.lmgtfy.com/?q=cherokee+bumper+build

im sorry, i had to... lol.

a lot of times ill just browse google image and when i find something that catches my eye ill save the image and if its on a forum, ill see if i can find more photos using their user name or getting into the image hosting.

I was expecting somebody to point out the obvious google search! :laugh: I was looking for what I got in a few later posts. What people did, where and why it worked for them. Maybe the post will take off and an admin can clean it up and make a sticky out of it???

I made this. My first bumper ever. It was pretty simple.

This is really similar to what I had in mind! A couple of questions. Is that 2x4 or 2x6 for the main part? What's under the cut and folds? The same 2x4 or 2x6 turned horizontal? How did you tie it into the unibody? I've seen a few pics where guys will expose the unibody channels and put what I'm guessing is 2x4 in there and match it up with the holes for the tow package? Does the rear end feel more solid on the road?

Just got done building this one. I also built the tail lights too.

This is ALSO really similar to what I had in mind! A couple of questions. Is that 2x4 or 2x6 for the main part? What's under the cut and folds? The same 2x4 or 2x6 turned horizontal? How did you tie it into the unibody? I've seen a few pics where guys will expose the unibody channels and put what I'm guessing is 2x4 in there and match it up with the holes for the tow package? Does the rear end feel more solid on the road?

Do you have any side pictures?
progress.gif

Yep, that's a pretty typical design when you have cut-&-folded the rear. Here's my junk when it was about 95% complete:

8629284994_28f3e5d62f_c.jpg

And installed:

9390300158_fedd325be9_c.jpg

9390298150_8968a83574_c.jpg

It once was perfectly aligned to the sheet metal... but rocks do funny things to sheet metal ;)

Anyway, I HIGHLY recommend opening up pockets so you can slide runners in the frame and then run bolts in the hitch bolt locations. The stock XJ bumper mounting support is a joke for off-road use (spare tire swing-arms, recovery/extraction points, hitch receiver, etc.)

Materials I used:

• Frame inserts: 2x4 - 1/8" wall
  • Center section: 3x5 - 3/16" wall
  • Tapering sides: 3x5 - 3/16" wall (cut to taper and angle in)
  • Side sliders: 2x2 - 3/16" wall
  • Clevis mounts: 1/4" plate and 3/4" plate for 1" at the mount (you want to tie the clevis mounts directly to the frame mounts)

I put a writeup for my bumper in my build thread:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1093360&page=3

This is ALSO really similar to what I had in mind! A couple of questions. Is that 2x4 or 2x6 for the main part? What's under the cut and folds? The same 2x4 or 2x6 turned horizontal? How did you tie it into the unibody? I've seen a few pics where guys will expose the unibody channels and put what I'm guessing is 2x4 in there and match it up with the holes for the tow package? Does the rear end feel more solid on the road?

Do you have any side pictures?
progress.gif

I just used a bunch of metal I had sitting around. Main portion is 2x4 3/16" and the sides are 1x2.5 I believe. I tied it in exactly how you said. Opened up the frame rails and ran some 2x3 inside them. I used 3 of the 4 holes per side from the hitch mounts. Should be plenty strong enough. As far as stronger feeling, I already had a JCR skid plate there that tied the rear together, so I can't really tell.

I just finished my first front and rear bumpers. All my scrap roll bar tube was good for something! We'll see how they hold up. They should be OK...no hills or rocks here in sunny FL.

picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

Rear bumper with tire carrier. I have some changes planned to the tire carrier portion as it tends to sag. I should of put the hinge portion on top of the bumper as opposed to hanging off the side. It does work well. Also the latch set up I chose is a pain in the but. I plan to change that to a spring loaded lever. It is a combo of plate and tubing. I still have to finish the rear trail lights which is what the openings are for.

null_zps47931a7b.jpg

Back